L. M. Rappaport

Default Explosives: Tree stump removal

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:18:50 GMT, Crafty wrote
(with possible editing):

....snip

I am on my last leg, and this is my idea:

1) Drill a 1.5'' diameter hole in the stump, about 3-4 inches deep
2) Fill it with gunpowder
3) Cork it tight
4) Install a long fuse
5) Light it and run

This will most certainly work. The only problem is that there are a LOT of
nearby trees that I want to keep, and I don't want to catch anything on
fire. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

Also, I cannot use chemicals. The trees are right above my well sump.
Burning is also out of the question.

Well, ok. First of all, you'd get a more effective and cheaper blast
using ammonium nitrate (common fertilizer) and diesel fuel. Problem
is that you need to set it off with a blasting cap and that might be
tough to get. Second of all, you normally dig down between the roots,
make a much larger hole which you pack with the mixture above. Third
of all, you don't ever do that with a sump below.

The well sump is a real problem. The folks who told you that nitrogen
based fertilizer will work were quite right, but I don't know if the
residue is something you want to end up in your well.

FWLIW, I'd do it the hard way - dig down as far as you can, hook your
largest vehicle to the stump (use heavy chain) and pull. It's not
easy, but you'll eliminate the problem of well damage which could be
far more expensive.

If it were me, I'd get a friend with a backhoe and I'd stick an old
chain on the chainsaw.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com