Arnie Goetchius

Default Electric Breaker Out of Slots

Thanks for the tips on the breakers. That appears to be a possibility. However,
looks like everone is suggesting an upgrade to 200 amps so will also consider
that. I do have A/C as shown in the following load calculation. Did I miss anything?

Unit Watts

A/C - one 18,000 one 24000 3860
Dish Washer 1500
Wall Oven 3600
Computers 500
25% of Largest Motor 300
Lighting Demand
1500 Sq ft X 3 Va 4500
Small Appl 2 X 1500 3000
Laundry 1 X 1500 1500
1st 3000 @ 100% 3000
Remaining 6000 @ 35% 2100
Total Lighting Demand 5100

Total Watts 14860

Total Amps 61.9

Wade Lippman wrote:

My 1983 house has a Sylvania box, and it takes the common Murray/Siemens
breakers. Two 15/15s will set you back $17. I don't know if it is
Challenger, but I expect all early 80s Sylvanias used the same breakers.
For about the same price you can get a quad breaker that lets you put two
240v circuits in 2 slots. That will probably be easier because you don't
have to move anything, but you will probably have to go to an electrical
supply house to buy it.
You can buy a whole lot of breakers for the cost of a new installed panel.
I take it you don't have central A/C or an electric dryer if your load is
only 62a.

"Arnie Goetchius" wrote in message

Have a 1500 sqft home (built 1985) with 100 amp service and a load of

about 47

amps. We would like to add an electric wall oven (3600 va) which would

bring the

load up to 62 amps. The problem is that the breaker box is full. (There

are only

16 breaker slots). I know there are side-by-side 15A breakers which take

up only

half the space. I would like to put 4 of the existing circuits on the

these

side-by-side breakers so I could free up two slots. Once I do that, I can

put

in a 240 volt 20 Amp double breaker for the oven.

Question 1: I have seen the side-by-side breakers for Square D but this

box is a

Sylvania-Challenger. Are there side-by-side breakers for the Challenger?

Question 2: If not, how much might I expect to pay (very roughly) to have

an

electrician (Central NJ) swap out the Challenger for a 20 slot Square D
including the permit, temporary disconnect of power and inspection?