Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Electric cars - running costs.

On 27/10/2017 17:00, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 26 October 2017 17:27:06 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Monday, 23 October 2017 16:25:43 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 October 2017 15:46:24 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 19 October 2017 10:42:51 UTC+1, Dave Plowman
(News) wrote:
In article
, Andy
Bennet wrote:
We did not get an EV based on the cost of the fuel, it is
just plain more enjoyable driving.

Must admit that's the first time I've heard that one. ;-)

Electric cars are a dream to drive compared with ICE.

I;m not a driver but even I know there are differnt dreams for
drivers.

Electric cars are a dream to drive because:- The torque max comes
at the time you need it (setting off).

Well IC cars are still genral speaking have a lower 0-60 time.

Since IIRC harry has a i-MiEV, that's a bit of an understatement! (0-62
in something like 16 seconds!)

There are no gear changes,just seamless acceleration.

Seamless as in you can't tell its accelerating

An advantage for some I guess lioke having an automatic.

Leaves most other cars standing at the traffic lights.

I doubt that cost for cost.

About 20K new now... more when harry got his. That buys quite a bit of
performance if you want it.

In Summer I charge it from my solar panels for free.

Handy if yuo ahave the space and setup for such things.

There's no road tax.

Presently it'll come.

Insurance is about the same as a conventional car. Maintenance is
almost zero. No oil, no filters. Just fluids to top up.

What about the battery ?

What's not to like?

Difficult for some to have handy access to charging points, intial
cost, Petrol head types, those that are into high performance cars,
those that want a cheap runabout.

Those that don't want something with the style of a pregnant roller
skate, which is less than 60" wide? Do you get in it, or put it on harry?

--
Cheers,

John.