Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric cars - running costs.

In article ,
wrote:
You think a tram could stop as fast as a car using regenerative brakes?

Not as good as car I would have thought, they can stop surprisingly
fast in emergency if the regenerated power is sent to the track brake
which is basically a long electromagnet mounted to a shoe that gets
clamped down to the rail , it also increases the downward force on the
wheels themselves.

Quite. Rather the same as an electric car. Regenerative brakes on their
own are no good for a quick stop.

That really was the point I was making. The brakes on any vehicle should
be specified to stop it as quickly as possible from any spped in an
emergency. If they use some other method to save or conserve energy on
gentle braking, so much the better. But this isn't restricted to electric
cars. Some buses used a flywheel many years ago. Some ICE cars use the
alternator.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.