Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric cars - running costs.

In article ,
wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 11:02:28 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Any particular reason why?
As a London resident you may well use Public transport more
frequently than those in the sticks and many of the electric trains
that you may use will be slowing in a very similar fashion.

You think a train running on rails the same as a car on a road? ;-)

No, although some trams will be using the same technology and they run
on roads in places.

You think a tram could stop as fast as a car using regenerative brakes?

I just thought that maybe you had some sort of phobia or mistrust
about something not being 100% mechanical in action like some pilots
were apprehensive in fly by wire rather than mechanical linkages.

Absolutely not. Just the way it was worded. The usual

I was just commenting on the nonsense that electric cars don't have
normal brakes. Of course they do - even when using regeneration to slow
them down to some extent. Unless you think two wheel brakes are going
to be marvellous for all occasions.

The post to which you were replying said "The mechanical brakes are only
used to stop the car. Normal
braking is regenerative,"

Exactly. Which was what I was commenting on. Braking to a mild degree of
retardation may well be regenerative. Whether that is normal or not
depends on the circumstances.

It's just the usual ad man's technique of trying to hype something out of
all propertion.

It did not say it had no mechanical brakes,
only you introduced that with your line on personal preferences
"Not sure I'd like a car with no brakes - other than just to bring it
to a halt over the last few yards. ;-)"

How did you read 'only used to stop the car' then? That just says what
every brake ever made does - until it was qualified by mentioning
regenerative braking.

I've no beef with that just wondered why, some drivers when conditions
allow like to combine throttle and brake input simultaneously

Really? It is a technique used by some rally drivers. Not sure it would be
much used on a public road.

so it
would on first glance appear an electric car may not be the best tool
for that. But won't the mechanical brakes be applied anyway from he
brake pedal when required if you wanted them to?

You'd have to ask harry.

Is all you are doing when driving an electric on the throttle pedal
is using engine braking that is a bit more than the driver of an IC
vehicle is accustomed to so use of the actual brake pedal is far less
and later than in an IC car.
Sounds like it may actually encourage a reasonable driving technique
amongst the present " I can't anticipate I'm going to need to slow
down for that red light ahead" who keep the gas on and then brake
hard.

The same will apply to an electric car. It is not going to be 100%
efficient in using regeneration to slow it down. Far better to anticipate
stopping where you can and 'coast' to a halt.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.