Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Electric cars - running costs.

On 27/10/2017 10:38, Huge wrote:
On 2017-10-27, Muddymike wrote:
On 27/10/2017 09:41, Huge wrote:
On 2017-10-26, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/10/2017 17:27, harry wrote:
On Monday, 23 October 2017 16:25:43 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

I;m not a driver but even I know there are differnt dreams for drivers.

Electric cars are a dream to drive because:-
The torque max comes at the time you need it (setting off)
There are no gear changes,just seamless acceleration.
Leaves most other cars standing at the traffic lights.
The mechanical brakes are only used to stop the car. Normal braking is regenerative, ie all speed control on the one pedal. The regenerative braking is adjustable to road conditions on my car.
The only noise is from the tyres so it's quieter than a Rolls Royce.
In Summer I charge it from my solar panels for free.
There's no road tax.
Insurance is about the same as a conventional car.
Maintenance is almost zero. No oil, no filters.
Just fluids to top up.

What's not to like?

Some of the automotive equivalent of Linux fanbois who buy them?

Tssk. They bear much more comparison with Mac fanbois; electric cars
are very far from free. Although I have recently discovered a tribe of
fanbois who make the Apple ones look like calm rational human being;
Adobe Photoshop fanbois.

My French 4x4 hybrid estate car saves me £130 every month compared to
the Audi A4 Allroad it replaced and does everything the Allroad did!

And they were both free, were they?

Yes, Company cars. I'm personally £130 better off every month due to the
lower Benefit in kind tax I have to pay.