Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hand Reaming and Drilling

wrote in message

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 4:43:52 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
I sometimes find its easiest to grab a chucking reamer to clean up a hole
and spin it by hand. No, not gripped between my finger tips. LOL.
Occasionally I need to do something similar with a small drill bit. I've
used a variety of things. One that works, but isn't very easy to get a
good
feel for is to grip the bit or reamer in a pair of locking pliers. I
don't
care for it much, but right now there are two drill bits locked in locking
pliers hanging from the pegboard behind my tackle making bench.

Today I needed to use a reamer to clean out some rather longish holes in a
mold at an odd angle. I suppose I should have reamed them before I
removed
the plates from the angle vise, but (a) I forgot, and (b) I figured the
drill bit that made the hole would have made it slightly oversized anyway.

So I found myself using a .126 reamer by hand to clean out a core pin
hole.
I grabbed a small keyless chuck I acquired somewhere that has a 1/2"
shank,
and used it as a bit holder. It worked great. It might have been better
if
it had a big screw driver handle on it, but it was an order of magnitude
better than using some locking pliers to hold the reamer. Now I can make
such a contraption. It would be pretty easy. I've got three or four
small
drill chucks that are pretty decent, but then I thought. I can't be the
only person to ever need to hand drive a small drill bit or a small
reamer.
I would think ideally a 1/4" (6.35mm) capacity keyless chuck on the end of
middle size screw driver would be ideal for this sort of work. Somebody
must have made one already. Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 would be handy, but I
usually find myself dealing with this on the smaller bits and reamers.

I've got one of these,
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-held-pin-vise
Is that what you want?

George h.

YES!!! I may get two or three or four of them so I can leave the 1/16th
anf 1/8th bits I use all the time on my tackle making bench chucked up and
ready to go. Maybe another on the back work bench, and one on the assembly
bench in the machine room.