Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hand Reaming and Drilling

I sometimes find its easiest to grab a chucking reamer to clean up a hole
and spin it by hand. No, not gripped between my finger tips. LOL.
Occasionally I need to do something similar with a small drill bit. I've
used a variety of things. One that works, but isn't very easy to get a good
feel for is to grip the bit or reamer in a pair of locking pliers. I don't
care for it much, but right now there are two drill bits locked in locking
pliers hanging from the pegboard behind my tackle making bench.

Today I needed to use a reamer to clean out some rather longish holes in a
mold at an odd angle. I suppose I should have reamed them before I removed
the plates from the angle vise, but (a) I forgot, and (b) I figured the
drill bit that made the hole would have made it slightly oversized anyway.

So I found myself using a .126 reamer by hand to clean out a core pin hole.
I grabbed a small keyless chuck I acquired somewhere that has a 1/2" shank,
and used it as a bit holder. It worked great. It might have been better if
it had a big screw driver handle on it, but it was an order of magnitude
better than using some locking pliers to hold the reamer. Now I can make
such a contraption. It would be pretty easy. I've got three or four small
drill chucks that are pretty decent, but then I thought. I can't be the
only person to ever need to hand drive a small drill bit or a small reamer.
I would think ideally a 1/4" (6.35mm) capacity keyless chuck on the end of a
middle size screw driver would be ideal for this sort of work. Somebody
must have made one already. Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 would be handy, but I
usually find myself dealing with this on the smaller bits and reamers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 1:43:52 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
I sometimes find its easiest to grab a chucking reamer to clean up a hole

I would think ideally a 1/4" (6.35mm) capacity keyless chuck on the end of a
middle size screw driver would be ideal for this sort of work. Somebody
must have made one already. Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 would be handy, but I
usually find myself dealing with this on the smaller bits and reamers.

Yep, that's a useful item, and easily available (or build-able).

https://www.banggood.com/0_8-10mm-Keyless-Drill-Chuck-Converter-14-Inch-Hex-Shank-Adaptor-p-1160824.html?rmmds=search

Works with a variety of handles, including cordless screwdrivers (but you'll
break bits if you use a pistol-grip type and something binds). Cylinder-on-axis handles
work best.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/23/2017 4:43 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

I often use a tap handle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 18:03:39 -0400, Steve Walker
wrote:

[...]

That's what I use. It's been used in toolmaking and in industry for
that purpose for more than a century.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:43:45 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I sometimes find its easiest to grab a chucking reamer to clean up a hole
and spin it by hand. No, not gripped between my finger tips. LOL.
Occasionally I need to do something similar with a small drill bit. I've
used a variety of things. One that works, but isn't very easy to get a good
feel for is to grip the bit or reamer in a pair of locking pliers. I don't
care for it much, but right now there are two drill bits locked in locking
pliers hanging from the pegboard behind my tackle making bench.

Today I needed to use a reamer to clean out some rather longish holes in a
mold at an odd angle. I suppose I should have reamed them before I removed
the plates from the angle vise, but (a) I forgot, and (b) I figured the
drill bit that made the hole would have made it slightly oversized anyway.

They usually do. You must be getting good!

[...]

Doesn't everyone have one or more old 3/8 chucks lying around from
when they put 1/2" chucks n their 3/8" VSR drill motors decades ago?
Just keep that reamer chucked in one of those. They work well as
handles. Drill a hole in the shank of a LH screw and use Loctite to
thread it into the back end, running a piece of braided fishing line
to the chuck key, in case you need to tighten it more than hand-tight.
Drill another hole (or 3) the diameter of the chuck key crossbar and
use it as a t-bar if you like.

( o0o for flatted crossbars)

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:43:45 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I would think ideally a 1/4" (6.35mm) capacity keyless chuck on the end of a
middle size screw driver would be ideal for this sort of work. Somebody
must have made one already. Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 would be handy, but I
usually find myself dealing with this on the smaller bits and reamers.

I know them as a pin vise.

Try this search for some examples:

https://www.banggood.com/search/pin-vise.html

Watch their suggestions along the edges while clicking on a few. That
search doesn't find all they have to offer...

Funny you should bring this up. Just ordered this one:

https://www.banggood.com/0_5-8mm-Min...p-1043309.html

No particular reason, just handy to have around. I've had a smaller one
for years with small drill bit storage in the handle. Its got a sewing
machine needle chucked in it though, so handy that I just wrote than
one off for other stuff

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 4:43:52 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I've got one of these,
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-held-pin-vise
Is that what you want?

George h.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

[...]

******************

YES!!! I may get two or three or four of them so I can leave the 1/16th
anf 1/8th bits I use all the time on my tackle making bench chucked up and
ready to go. Maybe another on the back work bench, and one on the assembly
bench in the machine room.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:43:45 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I would think ideally a 1/4" (6.35mm) capacity keyless chuck on the end of
middle size screw driver would be ideal for this sort of work. Somebody
must have made one already. Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 would be handy, but I
usually find myself dealing with this on the smaller bits and reamers.

I know them as a pin vise.

Try this search for some examples:

https://www.banggood.com/search/pin-vise.html

Watch their suggestions along the edges while clicking on a few. That
search doesn't find all they have to offer...

Funny you should bring this up. Just ordered this one:

https://www.banggood.com/0_5-8mm-Min...p-1043309.html

******************

YES!!! I may get two or three or four of them so I can leave the 1/16th
and 1/8th bits I use all the time on my tackle making bench chucked up and
ready to go. Maybe another on the back work bench, and one on the assembly
bench in the machine room.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 10:13:44 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
YES!!! I may get two or three or four of them so I can leave the 1/16th
and 1/8th bits I use all the time on my tackle making bench chucked up and
ready to go. Maybe another on the back work bench, and one on the assembly
bench in the machine room.

Another search term that may find some stuff of interest is hand vise.
Like:

https://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=hand%20vise

I've got an old one that has been really handy through the years. Looks
just like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sma...l/222684121521

Use it for small taps, like 8 x 32. Has a small notch cut in
the center in one jaw. Use to hold odd things for
soldering/repair when I was still working...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 8:37:59 AM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:
.

I know them as a pin vise.

Try this search for some examples:

https://www.banggood.com/search/pin-vise.html

Watch their suggestions along the edges while clicking on a few. That
search doesn't find all they have to offer...

Funny you should bring this up. Just ordered this one:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:43:45 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I would think ideally a 1/4" (6.35mm) capacity keyless chuck on the end of a
middle size screw driver would be ideal for this sort of work. Somebody
must have made one already. Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 would be handy, but I
usually find myself dealing with this on the smaller bits and reamers

https://www.banggood.com/0_5-8mm-Min...Pin-Vise-ModOn Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:43:45 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I would think ideally a 1/4" (6.35mm) capacity keyless chuck on the end of a
middle size screw driver would be ideal for this sort of work. Somebody
must have made one already. Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 would be handy, but I
usually find myself dealing with this on the smaller bits and reamersel-Hand-Drill-p-1043309.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

You might also search on ER collets and collet holder. Kind of like a really big pin vise.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:43:45 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
[...]

You boys never run into "yankee drills/drivers" before?

http://www.garrettwade.com/garrett-w...-drill-gp.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ill&_s acat=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-YAN...l/162726932969

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-YAN...A/202085819664

I have a number of them around the home shops and use them regularly.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 10:12:53 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+vise&_sacat=0

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 15:04:03 -0700
Gunner Asch wrote:

snip
You boys never run into "yankee drills/drivers" before?

Not the same thing, wouldn't do the job.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have the vice part from a broken handle in a Steel round that
looks like a 6" chuck blank. Solid steel with a tapped hole for the
vice. Oh, the tang was threaded with a matching one in the steel.
Nice for bench holding for small work.

Martin

On 10/25/2017 9:23 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 10:13:44 -0700