Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Bathroom faucet replacement question

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 11:38:33 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
wrote:
But if you have 1/2" threaded connections you can't pull the mounting
nuts on after the hose - for sure. With some other solutions it MIGHT
be possible.

With my (Moen) configuration, it would have been possible--the 2
fastener bolts and the 2 places where you attach hoses are separate and
distinct. I could have attached the hoses before I dropped the unit
through the top, and doing so would have saved time. With plumbers putty
already under the template, my mind wasn't thinking that far ahead.

Highlights:

-I dropped the first of the two new faucet fastener nuts (not the
plastic kind) and it fell below the floor of the vanity, into the abyss.
This 15-cent nut turned the repair into a two day affair. I knew better
than to work on Sunday evening...

-Putting teflon tape on the threads above your head lying on your back
with both elbows inside the vanity, is sort of challenging. The static
electricity, didn't help. The circumstances make you appreciate
whatever peace and quiet you can get. I mean, the dog was worried about
me and having my arm licked didn't really help.

Teflon tape normally isn't required on the hose ends where they connect
to the faucet, unless it's some unusual hose/faucet. The seal does not
rely on the threads being sealed. What did the instructions say?