Posted to alt.home.repair
croy croy is offline

Default Reducing Noise from nearby busy street

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 01:44:03 GMT, Nyknba m
wrote:

I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2 lanes
in each direction. Are there any remedies I can implement to help reduce this
noise? I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations? Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.

From "Architectural Accoustics; Functional Requirements Design & Technology" (U.S. Naval
Facilities Engineering Command; Design Manual 1.03; May 1985; page 27):

*****
7. WINDOWS. Fixed windows will be close to their laboratory STC rating. Operable sash windows
can be 10 STC less than the lab rating due to sound leaks at the window frame. Gaskets are
necessary for a proper seal. Some window units will have unit STC ratings which would be a
rating of both the gasketing and glass type. According to mass law, the heavier the glass the
better the noise reduction. Table 11 provides STC ratings on several glass and operable window
types. Double-glazed units are no better than singleglazed if the air space is 1/2 inch (12mm)
or thinner. This is due to a resonance condition created by a close air coupling of the glass
panes. This type of glass should be avoided near truck, train, or aircraft noise. A 2-inch
(50mm) airspace between glass panes will provide better noise reduction. This could be a
typical.storm sash and is recommended for truck, train, or aircraft noise. Laminated glass has
superior noise reduction capabilities. Installing glass in a neoprene "U" channel and
installing sound-absorbing material on the jamb between the panes will also improve noise
reduction. Special acoustical window units are available for critical installations.
*****

In my house, on the street-facing walls, I put a set of double-glazed windows in the usual
"outside" position, and another set on the inside walls, with mini-blinds in between. Truly a
pain to clean the larger ones, but the blinds stay nice and clean ;-), and the sound-reduction
is very noticible.

I've also heard of double-glazed windows where one of the panes is thicker glass than the
other, in order to "decouple" the vibration.

For walls, you can "stagger-stud", so that the interior (usually sheetrock) is attached to
every-other stud, and the exterior is attached to the alternates. Using rock-wool for
insulation helps a bit, too. Of course, re-doing existing walls is expensive. Tapestries, or
decorative towels, or even carpeting on the walls helps a lot too.

I experimented one time, putting egg-flats on all the interior walls of a room in a house that
was situated much like yours. One small furniture tack in each flat. Did all four walls, and
the two doors, floor to ceiling (Floors were carpeted concrete). The sensation was startling.
It was very much an an-echoic chamber. The only traffic sounds to make it thru, were the
low-freq, ground rumbles, which I had never even heard before putting up the egg-flats.
Unfortunately, it's not a popular decorating technique :-(

--
croy