Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 09:40:10 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 11:08:51 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

Nice. It has a trailer hitch so you just tow it to the job.

That's illegal. They're not road licenseable in the USA.
The fine print on the site says "Not for use on highways or public
roads." Many cops would likely let it go, but the sticklers would
know they're not roadable and ticket you, possibly impounding it.
Caveat tow-er.

Do you have any idea why they can not be licensed?

I can think of two possible reasons. One is they have no brake and running licenses. The second is that the tires are not rated for highway use.

Dan

I don't know about trailerable backhoes but log splitters can be
licensed in WA State. I called the Wa State Patrol about towing my log
splitter and they said it needs a license plate and is considered to
be a trailer. I asked why I see so many being towed without plates and
was told that they are illegal but almost nobody gets pulled over for
towing a log splitter. The tires on some splitters are rated for only
45 mph, I think the ones on my splitter are like this. So freeway
driving is probably not a good idea unless the tires are changed. I
bet I could get a plate for a trailerable backhoe here. The log
splitters I have seen towed didn't have lights and I think this may be
OK because the splitter doesn't obscure the towing vehicle's lights.
If the fine print does indeed say "for off road use only" it may be
just like you said. The thing is missing things needed to be driven on
public roads, like lights and a license plate. Who cares what someone
says on usenet? Call your local agency and find out first hand.
Eric