Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 07:18:36 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

You operated on a much higher level than I, but the concept was the
same. I look at something and decide whether or not to build based
on
cost, features, precision, and need. For things like the 0-30v 0-5a
bench supply, I figured I couldn't even source the parts for $46,
and
it would take days to build, so that was an easy decision.

I built them as separate raw supplies and regulators, sized by what I
had available instead of trying to match the transformer's and
regulator's voltages and currents. The variac-adjusted raw supplies
will charge batteries and reform electrolytic caps by themselves and
the regulators can operate from my solar panels.

So far I'm impressed with this:
https://www.amazon.com/uniquegoods-S.../dp/B01N3YSE6S

My LM317 and LM350 metered linear regulators are good sizes for
periodically topping up or equalizing batteries.

-jsw