Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 08:10:43 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Am Samstag, 21. Oktober 2017 06:32:59 UTC+2 schrieb Rudy Canoza:

I am certain the majority of people who follow this group make the
wrong
decision on make-or-buy.

There aren't universal right and wrong decisions here. It depends on
the person, tools available, interest and time. Lately I built two
workbenches and a vice (vise, if you're American) myself. This was
better for me, because the end products were exactly what I needed and
it was fun. But someone else might have preferred to buy them.
====================

I can build things that aren't commercially available, like the variac
battery charging power supplies that are economically practical only
with cheap flea market parts, or the hydraulic front-end loader for my
Sears garden tractor. It fit my need to clear snow to the upwind side
of my yard although the tractor is too small and light to excavate
soil.

I'll bet it could haul 10-15 gals of soil vs you having to tote it,
but you might have do dig it up first. It would still help in the
labor department, I'm sure. Have you tried fitting weights to the
back and stiffening the bucket base, or is it everything which is too
light for dirt work, not having been designed for it?

The sawmill was harder to justify versus buying one. I was looking at
Wood-Mizer and its competition until a neighbor parted out a crashed
motorcycle whose wheels were nearly perfect for a homebrew bandsaw

Very cool.

mill and I found a cheap heap of surplus pallet rack channel iron to
use for the tracks and frame.

And I'll bet it works as well as a $25k saw, too.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.