Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Electric cars - running costs.

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 00:18:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Quite ... and for me as someone (ideally) looking to get me and my
goods from A to B as efficiently and silently as possible, 'no sounds
at all' would be ideal [1] just like I don't really want to hear my
fridge or washing machine in action?

And why would *anyone* want anything different

Pretty difficult to explain to someone who obviously isn't a keen driver.

I'm sure it would be, but you may need to differentiate between a
'keen driver', a 'petrolhead', a car enthusiast (collector / classic
driver restorer) a 'racer' or other competitor (off-road, time trials,
loudest ICE etc).

So, I like to 'make good progress' and put me on a track, I'll push
whatever (car / bike) fairly hard. Of the few races I've ever entered
(car, boat or bike or RC cars etc) I've generally done reasonably well
(won at Electric endurance (me riding) and RC buggy and saloon car
championships ... sponsored driver etc ...) (That reminds me I need to
book the 'Enhanced Rally Experience at Brands' daughter bought me for
my 60th).

However, for me there is a massive distinction between racing, or even
'making good progress' and everyday driving on the roads in the UK
today.

So, what is a 'keen driver'? Is it someone who might drive to the
South of France, rather than fly or get the train (I drove there and
back). Or, for their annual family holiday, ride and camp with
motorcycle ~2000 miles around the UK ... or what?

I did it on a 'touring motorcycle' because that's what I was doing ...
seeing the sight whilst enjoying the 'change' of being on two wheels
and on holiday, rather than my normal being on 4 and simply following
another car while I go from A to B. I am very rarely at the front of
any vehicle queue, unless I'm towing trailer or otherwise restricted
to something less than the marked limit.

But do I look forward to the actual driving bit? No, not really,
partly because of all I have stated above (traffic etc) but given the
number of speed cameras and such all over the place, one can rarely
actually 'drive' as such, so it's just a matter of sitting there like
some self-drive robot playing follow-the-leader.

I rarely 'look forward' to any drive and it really matters not what
I'm driving (other than for a very short time whilst the novelty is
still there, like driving my mates SL63 AMG, or riding my mates Harley
but I'm equally happy to get back in my Eurobox or BMW Tourer because
they are more practical and economical (when what we are all generally
doing is just following the vehicle in front).

I've just bought a little Yamaha 125 motorcycle, partly because it was
a good deal, partly because it might help a mate get some miles under
his belt between bike tests (depending on how he gets on on his bike
tests etc), partly because they are very cheap to run (~100 mpg, £18
TAX, £29.65 MOT etc) and I quite like pottering about on something
light, as_a_change. I might also take the 250cc motorbike, the 250cc
scooter, the 800cc naked BM or the 1000cc fully faired BM ... or the
Kitcar. ;-)

Keen driver / rider or someone who just likes variety in how he
chooses to get from A to B? ;-)

Cheers, T i m