Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Electric cars - running costs.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 14:08:51 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Then buy a better car. Noisy engines and heavy clutches aren't intrinsic.

Like I said, even an automatic RR Ghost wasn't as seamless to drive as
my old EV ... I could still feel and hear the gear changes for
example.

And your old EV was every bit as comfortable? ;-)

In my opinion and preference, yes.

Best to compare apples with apples.

I was, I was agreeing with happy in that the 'drive' part of 'driving
both cars', my EV is just as good at the RR.

No EV is going to be totally silent.

Ok ...

There will be road and wind noise.

Then that's not the fact that it's electrically driven but that it's a
mass going though the air on tyres. It makes *no noise* compared with
any IC car (that will also be making those noises but will also be
making *extra* noises because it's an IC car).

Just how the combination of sounds it makes on the move delights or
offends is going to depend on individual taste.

Quite ... and for me as someone (ideally) looking to get me and my
goods from A to B as efficiently and silently as possible, 'no sounds
at all' would be ideal [1] just like I don't really want to hear my
fridge or washing machine in action?

And why would *anyone* want anything different, just in the same way
as why would you want to such the smoke from burning leaves into your
lungs? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] And pedestrians would just have to evolve to cope. ;-)