Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Electric cars - running costs.

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
harry wrote:
On Thursday, 19 October 2017 10:42:51 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
We did not get an EV based on the cost of the fuel, it is just plain
more enjoyable driving.

Must admit that's the first time I've heard that one. ;-)

Electric cars are a dream to drive compared with ICE.

A Tesla may be interesting. But not as interesting as many many ICE cars
at the same price.

Electric traction is undoubtedly more suitable than the ICE for
transport. The problem is all to plain to see. It takes less than 5
minutes to take on board enough fuel for 500 miles+. In liquid form, the
source of that energy can be easily transported around the supply
network and stored on multiple sites ready for use.
The electricity distribution network is nowhere near substantial enough
to cope with demand for all-electric vehicles regardless of where you
charge them. I wonder has any clever economist calculated the total
cost of waiting 20 minutes to charge your car rather than 5 - assuming
you can get on to a charging point of course?
There is little as yet on the horizon which suggest the storage problem
will be solved any day soon BICBW.
--
bert