Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Electric cars - running costs.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:44:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 23:55:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Thursday, 19 October 2017 10:42:51 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
We did not get an EV based on the cost of the fuel, it is just plain
more enjoyable driving.

Must admit that's the first time I've heard that one. ;-)

Electric cars are a dream to drive compared with ICE.

A Tesla may be interesting. But not as interesting as many many ICE cars
at the same price.

harry said 'a dream to drive', not 'interesting'.

Point I was making is many will have a different view of what makes a car
a dream to drive.

Including using different words. ;-)

I find the seat very comfortable.
Yes, I find it very warm too. ;-)

eg, Ignoring range anxiety, from turning they key the first time (and
I'm talking specifically of my EV here) that trip, that's it, you
don't even feel / rear the gear changes as you might with even the
best automatics and have loads of torque (even on a small EV), just
when you generally need it.

Please don't lets get back on to torque again. You know it upsets so many.
;-)

;-)

And when you come to a halt, everything (any noise / vibrations etc)
instantly stop, silence, nothing. And when you hit the throttle, you
*instantly* start off again, no lag or hesitation whilst things fire /
spool up again (especially on the stop-start IC engined vehicles).

So no heating or air con when stopped?

Nope, as there isn't any in the first place. ;-)

I have seen all this being experienced (and expressed by those
interested in such things) many many times over the 30 I've had my EV.

Thing is many get pleasure from an IC car with a sweet clutch and gearbox.

If you think about it, for most people that would need to be so smooth
as completely unnoticeable, a bit like an electric car in fact. ;-)

The noise the engine may make even if very low.

Again, like passive smoking, only because that's what some people have
learned to accept as 'normal'. I bet for the vast majority, 'no noise
at all' would be better still.

Whilst I do appreciate the sound of an IC engine now and again, I've
never really *enjoyed* the sound ... or having to hear the sound on
anything, the 'noise' being more intrusive (to me and everyone else)
than the 'buzz'. I learned this very early on when both racing RC
boats and on my first moped. An RC Catamaran with a 'Webra 61 Speed
rear' in the back, even doing silly mph would be more tolerated if it
was quiet. You could make it reasonably quiet and still allow it to
churn out ~2hp at 17,000 rpm!

http://classicpattern.com/webra-speed-61/?lang=en

It took the baffles out of my first moped, ran it about for a day and
put them back in, never taking them out again as I couldn't bear the
constant noise. Similar with the factory exhaust on the kitcar which
was way too loud for me, quickly replaced with a slightly shortened
but otherwise stock (and quiet) stainless steel system. ;-)

For me (and many others I expect), most of what many consider to be
part of their enjoyment (exhaust noise) is sound pollution to others
and I don't miss it at all when driving / riding an EV.

The first is that it's a Moke (when all open in the summer and
especially when the windscreen is folded flat on the bonnet and the
doors off) and so very open making you very aware of everything around
you, especially noises and in the olden days, smells of other peoples
exhausts (as you would as a pedestrian, cyclist or motorcyclist etc).

Not sure I'd fancy wearing goggles each time I went for a drive.

It just needs sun glasses as I'd have the screen and soft top up and
doors on if the weather wasn't reasonable.

But what
you're saying there is why I've bought a 'sports car'. The difference
being it open up at the touch of a button. ;-)

More stuff to go wrong (and I only have to release two catches that I
bet would be quicker than most electrics). ;-)

Cheers, T i m