Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Crimped connectors in household wiring in USA

In article ,
says...

Has anyone used or seen crimped connectors in USA wiring? I am curious
as to how widespread it is.

My old mobile home has them.
Ive currently got an open connection somewhere. I could well be wrong but I
suspect it's one of those connectors (plastic cap over pair of connected
aluminum wires). If I had known before I bought it...

Hi KenK ; I suspect that your old mobile home wiring uses
twist-on connectors - commonly called Marrettes - link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twist-on_wire_connector

Crimp connectors look more like these :

https://www.allelectronics.com/categ...rminals/1.html

The ones we used about 1970 in the mobile homes looked like this.

https://www.cesco.com/Ideal-30-410-I...mp-Connector--
18-10-AWG/p2120846

To insulate them we sues something like this.

https://www.cesco.com/Ideal-30-445-I...15-Insulator--
600-1000-Volt--For-Model-410-Crimp-Connectors--50-Box/p1954310

The first one looks like a metal top hat (very small) with a hole all
the way through it and over that went the wrap cap that was made out of
a rubber like material.

I think the wires wee supose to be twisted before the connector was
crimped, then the wire ends sticking out were to be cut off.

Solid wire does notusually work well with crimp connectors.