Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Electric cars - running costs.

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 09:36:34 UTC+1, Andy Bennet wrote:
In article ,
harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 16:54:02 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
On R4 You and Yours today - for those who may wish to listen again -
there was a bit about some filling stations providing fast charge
points. At last, you might say.

And they interviewed an actual punter with a Leaf. Worth a listen. ;-)

One point he made was he charges it at home at 12p per kW.hr. A full
charge costing about £2 and taking him about 80 miles.

The fast charge points will cost 50p per kW.hr and only charge to 80%..

So as a rough guestimate 7 quid for 70 miles. Not much different from
a small diesel. And, of course, no duty on that electricity, unlike
petrol and diesel.

Most electric cars are charged overnight at home

That's because most are only town runabouts. If filling stations are
getting round to fitting fast charging points, it suggests they are going
to be used for longer distances.

We have a Renault Zoe (Wifeys car which I enjoy driving) which has a
useable range of 185miles, will easily do an 80 mile destination and
back, hardly a town runabout. We charge it overnight at 7p/kWh, about £3
including inefficiencies.
We did not get an EV based on the cost of the fuel, it is just plain
more enjoyable driving.

Yes, travelling to destinations more than 85/90 miles away starts to
require a topup on the road. We bought it as a runabout for the missus
mainly, longer distances we use the legacy vehicle, but battery
technology already exists in the lab which will allow 500 or more mile
range which for me is all the driving I want to do in a day.

We are lucky and have off road parking so can easily charge at home so
an EV is a perfect solution.
Having said that I do appreciate that the existing infrastructure makes
it difficult for people in flats etc with no off road parking, but it
will get better in time (it has to, and there are plenty of bucks to be
made in doing so).

Andy

You never mentioned the battery costs.