Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric cars - running costs.

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 20:47:37 UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:
On R4 You and Yours today - for those who may wish to listen again -
there was a bit about some filling stations providing fast charge points.
At last, you might say.

And they interviewed an actual punter with a Leaf. Worth a listen. ;-)

One point he made was he charges it at home at 12p per kW.hr. A full
charge costing about £2 and taking him about 80 miles.

The fast charge points will cost 50p per kW.hr and only charge to 80%.

So as a rough guestimate 7 quid for 70 miles. Not much different from a
small diesel. And, of course, no duty on that electricity, unlike petrol
and diesel.

I've been looking at EV charging (we've just ordered a hybrid) and I've
found there are a surprising number of free or cheap charging points.
Some require a subscription of about £8 per mth, others seem to be
totally free. The £8 / mth one is the Polar network, which is a mix of
free and charged for points.

Of course, the danger is that, having got everyone 'hooked', they ramp
up the costs.

The Gov. still offer not only a generous 'bonus' to help fund a hybrid
or EV, they are also funding the installation of domestic charge points.
The process seems very 'slick' so far- ours should be installed in under
2 weeks.

no danger whatsoever, it's guaranteed

NT