Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default how to make wooden glass dome bases airtight?

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 11:23:23 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
On 10/14/2017 10:08 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 09:40:13 -0400
JBI wrote:

afterwards, but I am having one--- I can smell the moth balls outside
the dome, which means the wood is allowing the ball gases to escape.
This isn't good as it's a hazard to breathe moth ball gasses. For

not sure what mothballs are made of but i think poly coatings are
close to inert once they have cured completely

The particular moth crystals I'm using are made of paradichlorobenzene
which, if breathed for too long, can be damaging to anything living
around it. That's why it was essential to have a sealed enough
environment to make the out gassing factor negligible. The problem I
had was that I was unable to seal the base domes completely as the out
gassing issue was discovered only after I had completed the dome
environments. I turned here for suggestions and several coats of
shellac were suggested. While this appeared to work somewhat, I wasn't
able to seal the tops of the wooden bases completely since I already had
the environments glued in place and I believe these still unsealed areas
was where the moth crystal gases escaped.

i always thought they vacuum sealed those kind of displays

I'm not sure how or even if this should be done since the butterflies
inside are already fragile to begin with. My solution turned out to be
using hermetically sealed acrylic canisters. No out gassing issues or
gluing, so the environment inside can easily be changed, updated, or
repaired at any future time.

Hermetically sealed? It's too bad that Ed McMahon passed away. He could have helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m_dT0wsrGI