Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default 12VDC to 120VAC inverter problem.

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 13:56:49 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 4:18:01 PM UTC-4, malua mada! wrote:

Cig lighter sockets and plugs (and the fuse holders they may contain) may corrode and otherwise "get weak"

They are also limited in capacity by design. For full inverter capacity, you need to connect directly to the battery.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Cigarette lighter sockets which have been used to light cigs, always
make poor connections. They are full of carbon, ashes, and other crap.
Back when I smoked, I had to regularly replace the lighters. They never
lasted long. Several times I had to replace both the lighter and the
socket.

The one in my car was never used as a lighter, so it makes a fairly good
connection. My truck has 3 sockets. One contains a lighter, the other
two are only for plugging stuff in. That was a good setup. Most (or all)
new cars dont evne have cig lighters anymore. I guess they figure that
everyone on earth has quit smoking.... But they dont consider that those
sockets have other uses. New cars have USB connectors, but they have
limited uses. I'd rather have a 12V Cig lighter socket. Those USB plugs
that go into cig lighter sockets only cost a buck.