Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Electricity detector?

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 2:03:15 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

For use through insulation there are non-contact testers that are inexpensive.
They will detect a live cable if you place the tip near or on the cable.
They won't work if the cable is inside the wall, ie it's inches away and
covered with drywall, etc. There probably are more sensitive instruments
that will, how practical they are, IDK. ?Usually being able to check where
cables are available or at junction boxes is sufficient.