Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electricity detector?

Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-10-16 2:03 PM, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

There are detectors for this, they are not cheap, they come in to pieces
as a transmitter and a receiver, usually the transmitter is plugged into
a dead outlet, then with the receiver you can see where the signal dies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

One can use a telephone tone and probe. Also there are similar items for AC
use.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 2:03:15 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

For use through insulation there are non-contact testers that are inexpensive.
They will detect a live cable if you place the tip near or on the cable.
They won't work if the cable is inside the wall, ie it's inches away and
covered with drywall, etc. There probably are more sensitive instruments
that will, how practical they are, IDK. ?Usually being able to check where
cables are available or at junction boxes is sufficient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2017 12:27 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 2:03:15 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

For use through insulation there are non-contact testers that are inexpensive.
They will detect a live cable if you place the tip near or on the cable.
They won't work if the cable is inside the wall, ie it's inches away and
covered with drywall, etc. There probably are more sensitive instruments
that will, how practical they are, IDK. ?Usually being able to check where
cables are available or at junction boxes is sufficient.

Many stud finders have built-in AC detection.
Transmitter/receiver devices work, but are much more expensive.
Time-domain reflectometer cable testers can tell distance to break.
Some can be connected to a live AC wire, many can't.
BE VERY CAREFUL.

I'd go for the stud finder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Oct 2017 18:03:10 GMT, KenK wrote:

Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

Non Contact voltage detectors do exist and they do not require
current flow. Most have a pretty limitted range (you can check a wire
without disconnecting it, but you need to get into the box or into the
wall)
Some "stud finders" have a "live wire detector" built in as well.
Otherwize you need to disconnect the power and use a "fox and hound"
tester - but a bad connection can often still pass enough signal to
fool you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 14:15:32 -0400, FrozenNorth

On 2017-10-16 2:03 PM, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

There are detectors for this, they are not cheap, they come in to pieces
as a transmitter and a receiver, usually the transmitter is plugged into
a dead outlet, then with the receiver you can see where the signal dies.

Called "fox and hound"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Oct 2017 18:03:10 GMT, KenK wrote:

Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

HD?Lowe's carries a small probe, $10 for checking things. Just hold
it near a switch, receptacles, etc. and it chirps if power is present.

It looks like this pic:

https://cdn1.tmbi.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/FH05MAY_ELETES_02.JPG

Other types work differently and cost more. "Fox & Hound" is one
product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2017 12:03 PM, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

Yes, but you probably can't afford it for a one shot deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

There is a fox? It's called an inductive probe, but not. It's
electrostatic. Has a tone transmitter included. I also had a Harbor Freight
device which was so great, I gave away.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Oct 2017 18:03:10 GMT, KenK wrote in

Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

Something like this might work for you.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...8907/205620398
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 1:03:15 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA
--

I've used a pocket AM/FM radio tuned to a relatively quiet spot on the AM band and moved it over a wall like a stud finder listening for the 60 HZ AC hum that would come from the energized Romex in the wall. It worked well for me before the AC voltage detectors became widely available ie 'inexpensive'. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Detective Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 9:53:16 AM UTC-4, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 10/16/2017 11:03 AM, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

Electricity only exists in the form of a "flow," idiot.

Take physics 101 and then think about that again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2017 08:53 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

[snip]

Electricity only exists in the form of a "flow," idiot.

Charge exists too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 07:43:41 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

On 16 Oct 2017 18:03:10 GMT, KenK wrote in

Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

Something like this might work for you.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...8907/205620398

Good for about half an inch from the conductor - possibly an inch on
a real good day of you manage to stand just right on one foot and hold
your mouth just right - - - and will not detect voltage in metallic
sheathed cable or inside a closed junction box.

Posted to alt.astrology,alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.support.depression,alt.war.vietnam

Checkmate! In article , burkesgurlz@std-
girls.com says...

On 10/17/2017 7:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 9:53:16 AM UTC-4, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 10/16/2017 11:03 AM, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

Electricity only exists in the form of a "flow," idiot.

Take physics 101 and then think about that again.

I was discovering new physics when you were still ****tin' yer diapers, asshole!

Gee... I wonder how my non-contact voltage detector manages to light up,
then? I can find almost any electrical problem in a house in about
twenty minutes or less, but you can't make any money that way. The guys
who make the money are the ones who just start opening boxes everywhere
because they don't have a game plan. They get paid by the hour for being
stupid.

--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate

Please visit me at alt.checkmate, the new
go-to group for the discerning troll...

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017
Posted to alt.astrology,alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.support.depression,alt.war.vietnam

On 10/17/2017 11:59 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 10/17/2017 7:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 9:53:16 AM UTC-4, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 10/16/2017 11:03 AM, KenK wrote:
Do they make a gadget that detects the presence - not necessarily flow - of
electricity in a conductor through insulation, walls, etc? Not electric
flow because I am hunting an open circuit in a mobile home. I want to see
how far the power is getting without removing caps on splices, opening
walls, etc.

TIA

Electricity only exists in the form of a "flow," idiot.

Take physics 101 and then think about that again.

I was discovering new physics when you were still ****tin' yer diapers, asshole!

Here's some god damned physics... When I slap Miss Recktum's pockmarked face, her eyes goes round and round, like the wheels on a schoolbus.
Why?

Inertia?

--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
Usenet author, poet, comedian, and philosopher.
Copyright © 2017
all rights reserved

Please visit me at alt.checkmate, the new
go-to group for the discerning troll...

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017
Posted to alt.home.repair

The non-contact, no-current flow detectors use what is called capacitive coupling.

The cheapest form of this type of detector is the Christmas light detectors that you place up against the wires going to the sockets and move from one socket to the next to find out where the flashing light or buzzing sound stops. But you have to have the plug in the outlet the correct way or you have to start checking from the far end of the circuit if the hot side of the outlet does not go to the first light.

Posted to alt.astrology,alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.support.depression,alt.war.vietnam

just a small thunderstorm