Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

wrote in message

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 2:38:07 PM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 11:09:46 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

I am trying to collect material and ideas in order to make
a mini backhoe. I may never make one, but I am proceeding
on the grounds that I will.

snip

If you haven't already, download the manual from HF for their little
backhoe:

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...2999/62365.pdf

It has an hydraulic schematic, parts blowout... may help you sort stuff
out some in your head

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks for the link to the Harbor Freight backhoe manual. I had been
meaning to look at it , but had not gotten around to it. It is a lot better
manual than I expected. I intend to find out the prices of Harbor Freight
parts. Might be cheaper than buying the parts from other places.

**************

I've recently been looking at hydraulic parts from a place called Surplus
Center. It might be easy enough to setup to use the same pump and motor (or
engine) on a hydraulic press and/or a log splitter. Some guys of course
claim they can out split a hydraulic splitter all day long, but that's up to
you. LOL. Moving the pump and motor, or pump motor and valve from one
machine to another will be a bit of work, as you will need to plug lines and
openings as you pull the parts to keep dirt out. You may want to have extra
hydraulic hoses to make it a little easier. MY HF porta power has a semi
quick connect that seems to work ok, but the flow rate is pretty slow.

Its been a long time since I ran a backhoe (1987 maybe) but it seems even
with foot powered swing you are going to need a minimum of three dual acting
cylinders. 4 (or 5) with swing control.