Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

I am trying to collect material and ideas in order to make a mini backhoe. I may never make one, but I am proceeding on the grounds that I will.

Before starting in on how I should just buy a real backhoe, let me say I do not need a real backhoe. I can really get by with just using a shovel. But a mini backhoe that would be say 3 times as fast as just using a shovel appeals to me.

I have thought about building a tiny mini backhoe, but the cost would be nearly the same as a some what bigger machine. The hydraulic cylinders and hydraulic valves are the major expense and they would not be significantly less for a tiny backhoe.

I purchased the plan that are on Ebay for $13.99 and are not real happy with them. Most of the drawings are three dimensional showing all the hidden lines. And most dimensions are in the text. And the pages all have the same title block. But I did not pay a lot so can not expect a lot.

I am hoping to collect most of the material ( not including hydraulics ) from the local scrap yard. I am intending to put the engine, hydraulic pump, filter and tank as a unit with quick disconnects. So I can remove that part and connect it to a log splitter or what ever. And hope to find a boat trailer at the scrap yard to supply the wheels. I have already bought some 3/16 rectangular 4 by 3 inch tubing for the booms and chassis. All in pieces only 4 feet long, but I have a welder. I also have some cut offs of 1 inch rod and some 1" bronze bushings.

So what I would like is comments. Especially from anyone that has built a mini backhoe. Good sources for hydraulic cylinders and valves would be nice. The Surplus Center is already bookmarked. Things to avoid would be nice.

Oh yes, I am thinking about using my feet to swivel the boom instead of of using a hydraulic cylinder. It seems like that might be okay to do. Maybe have a plan on how to add power to swivel the boom if using my feet is too much work. Or maybe figure out a way to use car clutch and brake parts to swivel the boom. I am sure there will be comments on that idea.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 11:09:46 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

I am trying to collect material and ideas in order to make
a mini backhoe. I may never make one, but I am proceeding
on the grounds that I will.

snip

If you haven't already, download the manual from HF for their little
backhoe:

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...2999/62365.pdf

It has an hydraulic schematic, parts blowout... may help you sort stuff
out some in your head

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

[...]

================================

After building a hydaulic bucket loader for my Sears GT18 garden
tractor I considered (and rejected) a backhoe, using the smallest
cylinders he
http://www.baileyhydraulics.com/#/hydraulic-cylinders

A 4"x6" bandsaw and a DC stick welder were enough to cut and assemble
the frame. I might have managed with a drill press instead of a
milling machine, but the mill and lathe were very useful to make
mechanical and hydraulic parts needed to salvage cheap used components
instead of buying new. For example the control valve assembly I found
for $40 had a fixed pressure relief set way too high so I made an
adjustable one.

Before designing anything in detail I took measurements of commercial
loaders and reconstructed the stresses on the parts, based on the
cylinder dimensions and oil pressure. The loads on the pivot pins are
high enough that I made the bushings from solid brass instead of
Oilite. Drilling and reaming the two holes in the outer forks of the
joints very straight was difficult and the long 0.501" reamer I found
set the sizes of the pivot pins and fork width.

The four bar linkage that rotates the bucket was the trickiest part to
figure out. You could build the boom and bucket first and play with
slotted angle etc to find where to weld on the linkage pivot and
cylinder attachment. I made a wooden model to experiment with
geometries and clearances.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

I am trying to collect material and ideas in order to make
a mini backhoe. I may never make one, but I am proceeding
on the grounds that I will.

snip

If you haven't already, download the manual from HF for their little
backhoe:

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...2999/62365.pdf

It has an hydraulic schematic, parts blowout... may help you sort stuff
out some in your head

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Thanks for the link to the Harbor Freight backhoe manual. I had been meaning to look at it , but had not gotten around to it. It is a lot better manual than I expected. I intend to find out the prices of Harbor Freight parts. Might be cheaper than buying the parts from other places.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

[...]

**************

I've recently been looking at hydraulic parts from a place called Surplus
Center. It might be easy enough to setup to use the same pump and motor (or
engine) on a hydraulic press and/or a log splitter. Some guys of course
claim they can out split a hydraulic splitter all day long, but that's up to
you. LOL. Moving the pump and motor, or pump motor and valve from one
machine to another will be a bit of work, as you will need to plug lines and
openings as you pull the parts to keep dirt out. You may want to have extra
hydraulic hoses to make it a little easier. MY HF porta power has a semi
quick connect that seems to work ok, but the flow rate is pretty slow.

Its been a long time since I ran a backhoe (1987 maybe) but it seems even
with foot powered swing you are going to need a minimum of three dual acting
cylinders. 4 (or 5) with swing control.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

[...]

The standard farm equipment type quick connects work just fine. Same
thing used on pickup truck snow ploughs. Better than the little
piddlers used on a porta-power (which would likely be "just" adequate
- and I know guys who have used standard air fittings - but the male
end leaks and makes a mess when not connected. (you always need to
plug the two ends together when not connected to something else)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Greetings Dan,
Forget the foot powered swing. To get any real work done you will
need to swing the hoe back and forth A LOT. I am by no means a
backhoe expert but I do have many hours on mine. For a while I had
some problems that made the boom swing slow and it was maddening. I
was used to the much faster swing that it had when I fist bought it.
Now that it swings fast again I really appreciate it. Furthermore,
even though running my backhoe only requires pulling or pushing levers
or foot pedals it is still tiring work if done for long. Having to
swing even a small boom when fully extended will be hard to do very
many times.
Also, cylinder size is important. A friend of mine has a backhoe
smaller than mine on the back of his Case. My Case is a 580 CK and his
is the next size down. My backhoe was made by Case to fit my tractor.
My friend's is an aftermarket unit that is sort of a universal fit
type. On his they scrimped on the cylinder size to save money. To get
enough power his runs a higher pressure than mine. The upshot is that
his machine is more jerky, the smaller high pressure cylinders move
quickly and are harder to control. Even though my machine moves as
fast as his it is easier to control. We both noticed this.
Finally, don't build a machine that has you rotating with the
boom. My friend's add on backhoe works like this and all the back and
forth wears you out.
I LOVE my backhoe. Even though it is pretty worn out it still does
a lot of work much faster than I ever could. I bought it to install my
septic system. After doing that I have built a road on my property ,
fixed another road, buried my neighbor's horse, dug the water, power
and phone ditches to my house and shop, dug up several big stumps with
their associated root systems, and just last weekend planted 7 pretty
big cedar trees. All these jobs required the backhoe. And using the
backhoe is fun. Using the loader is fun too but there is something
cool about being able to dig a hole 10 feet deep in a short time.
Watching the dipper rip out big roots in seconds that would take all
day to dig and chop out by hand is really cool.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 4:36:51 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

**************

I've recently been looking at hydraulic parts from a place called Surplus
Center. It might be easy enough to setup to use the same pump and motor (or
engine) on a hydraulic press and/or a log splitter. Some guys of course
claim they can out split a hydraulic splitter all day long, but that's up to
you. LOL. Moving the pump and motor, or pump motor and valve from one
machine to another will be a bit of work, as you will need to plug lines and
openings as you pull the parts to keep dirt out. You may want to have extra
hydraulic hoses to make it a little easier. MY HF porta power has a semi
quick connect that seems to work ok, but the flow rate is pretty slow.

Its been a long time since I ran a backhoe (1987 maybe) but it seems even
with foot powered swing you are going to need a minimum of three dual acting
cylinders. 4 (or 5) with swing control.

Right. The Surplus Center is the place I said I had bookmarked. THey have lots of hydraulic stuff, but none a cheap as it was a long time ago.

With the right quick disconnects I should be able to change to another machine without having to plug lines.

And you are correct about the number of cylinders and each one has to have a control valve. For me that is where most of the expense is.

I am not one of those guys that claims to be able to split wood faster than a hydraulic splitter. I use to get my exercise splitting wood, but that was before I retired.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 6:23:24 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

The standard farm equipment type quick connects work just fine. Same
thing used on pickup truck snow ploughs. Better than the little
piddlers used on a porta-power (which would likely be "just" adequate
- and I know guys who have used standard air fittings - but the male
end leaks and makes a mess when not connected. (you always need to
plug the two ends together when not connected to something else)

I got some qd's at the scrap yard that are fair sized but only the male half. I thought they might fit the lawn tractor, but they are too big for that. I need to figure out what size they are and whether I can use them. The nearest TSC is about 20 miles away in a direction I hardly ever go.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You are probably right. My thought was that swinging the boom does not take as much power as digging with the bucket or lifting the dirt. So ought to be able to use a smaller diameter cylinder or use foot power. But using foot power might leave too much work in using the backhoe. I think all the mini backhoes use the same size cylinder for everything. And the swing speed is going to be different depending on which way you are swinging. The rod means the piston goes different speeds depending on if it is extending or retracting.

When I was back in Washington my neighbor had a backhoe which I used on a couple of occasions. If I build a mini it will not be near as cool, but will beat the shovel I have been using.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 3:30:11 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message

I am trying to collect material and ideas in order to make a mini
backhoe. I may never make one, but I am proceeding on the grounds
that I will.

Before starting in on how I should just buy a real backhoe, let me say
I do not need a real backhoe. I can really get by with just using a
shovel. But a mini backhoe thf set way too high so I made an
adjustable one.at would be say 3 times as fast as just
using a shovel appeals to me.

I have thought about building f set way too high so I made an
adjustable one.a tiny mini backhoe, but the cost would
be nearly the same as a some what bigger machine. The hydraulic
cylinders and hydraulic valves are the major expense and they would
not be significantly less for a tiny backhoe.

I purchased the plan that are on Ebay for $13.99 and are not real
happy with them. Most of the f set way too high so I made an
adjustable one.drawings are three dimensional showing
all the hidden lines. And most dimensions are in the text. And the
pages all have the same title block. But I did not pay a lot so can
not expect a lot.

I am hoping to collect most of the material ( not including
hydraulics ) from the local scrap yard. I am intending to put the
engine, hydraulic pump, filter and tank as a unit with quick
disconnects. So I can remove f set way too high so I made an
adjustable one.that part and connect it to a log
splitter or what ever. And hope to find a boat trailer at the scrap
yard to supply the wheels. I have already bought some 3/16
rectangular 4 by 3 inch tubingf set way too high so I made an
adjustable one. for the booms and chassis. All in
[...]

joints very straight was difficult and the long 0.501" reamer I found to
set the sizes of the pins and fork width.

The four bar linkage that rotates the bucket was the trickiest part to
figure out. You could build the boom and bucket first and play with
slotted angle etc to find where to weld on the linkage pivot and
cylinder attachment. I made a wooden model to experiment with
geometries and clearances.

-jsw

I have about the same tools as you do. Well not a real mill, just a drill mill. And I will probably make a wood model or two. I do have plans but am not sure how good they are. And do have a real backhoe not too far away that I can look at. Your front end loader convinced me that it was possible for me to build a mini backhoe.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 11:45:10 -0700, Phil Dambach
wrote:

On 10/15/2017 11:09 AM, wrote:

I am trying to collect material and ideas in order to make a mini backhoe.

Is this to be used to bury small children of "leftists" who perish in
the "cull"?

chuckle

The cullers are saving up for one of these
http://tinyurl.com/y7t9jqd8, so that they may someday bury these libs,
http://tinyurl.com/y883hcbk, who have jobs, which makes the cullers
jealous.

Anyway, I guess I missed my chance to talk a lot. I recently did a ton
of work on my old backhoe, and used it to great effect on a major
project. It never crossed my mind to spend an equal amount of time
writing out a blow by blow about splitting the thing, fixing the trans
shuttle, fabricating all new hoe mounts etc. I thought this group was
only for ragging on Hillary and detailing cull deaths! Oh well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Pretty hard to beat an old Construction King Backhoe Loader unit.
They were really DESIGNED as a backhoe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:00:23 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

You are probably right. My thought was that swinging the boom does not take as much power as digging with the bucket or lifting the dirt. So ought to be able to use a smaller diameter cylinder or use foot power. But using foot power might leave too much work in using the backhoe. I think all the mini backhoes use the same size cylinder for everything. And the swing speed is going to be different depending on which way you are swinging. The rod means the piston goes different speeds depending on if it is extending or retracting.

That's why virtually ALL real backhoes use 2 cyls for the swing.

When I was back in Washington my neighbor had a backhoe which I used on a couple of occasions. If I build a mini it will not be near as cool, but will beat the shovel I have been using.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 3:30:11 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I have about the same tools as you do. Well not a real mill, just a
drill mill. And I will probably make a wood model or two. I do have
plans but am not sure how good they are. And do have a real backhoe
not too far away that I can look at. Your front end loader convinced
me that it was possible for me to build a mini backhoe.

Dan

===========================

My Clausing is about the same size as a mill drill, ie the table
wasn't long enough to drill two parallel holes several feet apart. You
won't have the problem of trying to make both sides identical and
aligning their pivots, but the horizontal pivot may be difficult
because so much force is concentrated on it and its height may need to
be more than your mill's quill travel.

I quickly found that shrinkage prevented welding pre-finished parts
into a complex assembly. Whatever precision machining was needed had
to be doable on the fully completed unit, meaning I had to include
reference surfaces and provide for clamps.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:45:57 -0700, Cemetery Polka wrote:

I thought this group was
only for ragging on Hillary and detailing cull deaths! Oh well.

Shows how little you actually think. Sadly.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 23:38:58 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:45:57 -0700, Cemetery Polka wrote:

I thought this group was
only for ragging on Hillary and detailing cull deaths! Oh well.

Shows how little you actually think. Sadly.

Hey Wieber, this seems like a good time for you to be posting details
about that invisible backhoe you used to talk about.

"And a backhoe to do it properly."
http://groups.google.com/group/sac.p...2893d4f968287d

"So when can I expect to need to fire up the backhoe?
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.r...f213f515dbdd75

"my backhoe is fueled!"
http://groups.google.com/group/talk....c5e138b751217a

So why aren't you bombarding the group with the details and the
photos? LOL

Sounds like somebody will be swinging by your dump soon to take a
picture of that permanent junk yard ornament Hotel Econoline. What
angle is best for getting the invisible backhoe in the same shot?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Mine has the Shuttle Shift feature too. And it's gas powered so I
don't have to smell diesel fumes. A deisel engine would probably be
better but the smell makes me sick to my stomach.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You mean this one?

http://www.taftconstruction.com/_inc...backhoe-01.jpg

What question did you have about it?

Or any of its brothers? There are about 10 available.

Blow up the photo. look at the face of the operator

Now did you have any other questions?

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That isn't yours and it's not on your property.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:00:23 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

snip
When I was back in Washington my neighbor had a backhoe
which I used on a couple of occasions. If I build a mini it
will not be near as cool, but will beat the shovel I have
been using.

Not sure how big you're planning on... but there were several youtube
videos for the HF version last I looked. It was a couple years ago, I
found them interesting. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than those
for a home brew.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Btw...did you see my boats?

https://goo.gl/photos/gaFkPC11Zs9Qn54Z9

The E350 pulls the heavy Aquarius 7.0 like a ****ing champ.
I will say it took (4) trips to the smog shop to pass California smog.
Each trip we found something else wrong. Then came the magic day it
passed. With flying colors and very low smog values. Then it cost
damned near $600 to have it registered and then changed to a
Motorhome.
Going to have to drop both gas tanks through...the gas gauge reads
wrong on both of them. We had no idea what the hell we were doing when
we put in 2 new fuel pumps and floats and we didnt get the floats
right. I put $20 in the front tank this morning...it was showing 1/8th
tank..so put in 6 gallons in the 20 gallon tank..and it now shows 3/4
full. So obviously something is haywire. Shrug.

And some dickhead tagged the side of it 2 weeks ago. So the wife used
paint stripper (AAAAHH!!!) to get it off..rather than the acetone I
told her to use (I was working in So Cal.) Fortunately it wont
require a complete repaint...sigh..just a lot of repaint...whimper...

Now Im having the Ranger engine rebuilt. Found a broken oil ring in
#5. So am saving the $300 for the rebuilt kit..pistons, rings, all
the lower bearings and mains. It was smogged, on the road, and then
it started showing oil spewing out the PVC..after I had both heads
done and the radiator rebuilt. So ****et..time to rebuilt the engine
properly. Ill have the cash at the end of this week, or next. Towards
the end of the month anyways. Shrug. After that..its the
transmission in the Venture.

https://goo.gl/photos/hMwi7gCZHjJNcXTe8

Then Ill have 5 running, newly rebuilt vehicles to use as necessary.

Well..I have put 37k on the Dodge Caravan in the past 7
months...but..it looks pretty good and runs strong and gets me 23mpg.

So what have you been doing? Did they give you back access to general
population or are you still in the High Risk ward?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Of course its not mine. I never claimed to "own" a backhoe. But
(correction below) made it clear that I have access to them any time I
need one.

Well..I did own one about 10-14 yrs ago..and sold it to a guy who
needed one in a hurry. But thats been covered several times. (VBG)

Did you blow up the photo and check out who was operating it? (Grin)

Thats the reason you snipped and clipped all the rest of my reply isnt
it? Didnt want to look stupid did you? TOO LATE!!!

You always trip over your belly whenever you try doing this sort of
thing. You are way way too stupid to ever get it right.

Laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets just restore the rest of the post, shall we?

#5. So am saving the $300 for the rebuilt kit..pistons, rings, all
the lower bearings and mains. It was smogged, on the road, and then
it started showing oil spewing out the PVC..after I had both heads
done and the radiator rebuilt. So ****et..time to rebuilt the engine
properly. Ill have the cash at the end of this week, or next. Towards
the end of the month anyways. Shrug. After that..its the
transmission in the Venture.

https://goo.gl/photos/hMwi7gCZHjJNcXTe8

Then Ill have 5 running, newly rebuilt vehicles to use as necessary.

Well..I have put 37k on the Dodge Caravan in the past 7
months...but..it looks pretty good and runs strong and gets me 23mpg.

So what have you been doing? Did they give you back access to general
population or are you still in the High Risk ward?"

When you get out..IF you ever get out...come visit me and Ill
introduce you to the backhoe and what nice deep holes it can dig.
Bring a case of Drano with you when you come. Ill supply the water
and the plastic sheeting. And dont bother putting your ID in your
sock...in about 3 days...it will be unreadable. So dont bother.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Stupid ****ing liar:

And I have some of the prettiest places to take people and move them
into their new digs.

And a backhoe to do it properly.

http://groups.google.com/group/sac.p...2893d4f968287d

My door is always open and my backhoe is fueled!

http://groups.google.com/group/talk....c5e138b751217a

Don't give us any of that lame Wieber bull**** about "access" to a
backhoe, you ****ing liar - you said you *have* a backhoe.

You don't, of course, nor would you know how to use one. It's must more
empty woofing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:54:57 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Sounds like somebody will be swinging by your dump soon to take a
picture of that permanent junk yard ornament Hotel Econoline. What
angle is best for getting the invisible backhoe in the same shot?

You mean this one?

http://www.taftconstruction.com/_inc...backhoe-01.jpg

That isn't yours and it's not on your property.

Of course its not mine. I never claimed to "own" a backhoe.

Stupid ****ing liar.

Yes..you are. And you continue to prove it whenever you go off on a
rant like this.

And I have some of the prettiest places to take people and move them
into their new digs.

And a backhoe to do it properly.

Ayup. Have had access to backhoes for a very long time

http://groups.google.com/group/sac.p...2893d4f968287d

My door is always open and my backhoe is fueled!

http://groups.google.com/group/talk....c5e138b751217a

Ayup. Where does it say I own Backhoe XYZ? I have access to several
of them whenver necessary.

Don't give us any of that lame Wieber bull**** about "access" to a
backhoe, you ****ing liar - you said you *have* a backhoe.

Sure do. Whichever one I want to go get. Not sure if the van will
pull one..but I can simply pull it with one of the gang trucks or a
dump truck. I see you are confused again. Thats not terribly
unusual. Shrug.

You don't, of course, nor would you know how to use one. It's must more
empty woofing.

Come visit and we can find out. You might even be alive when you go
in the hole, along with all that Drano and water. And maybe even some
time after that.

I fail to see what you are ****ing and moaning about. Semantics is
rather foreign to you isnt it?

My buddy borrows a rifle from me and when out hunting...he always says
"my rifle" when he is out with his friends/family. Even with me in
fact. But it remains my weapon despite my loaning it to him to use as
his own.

You have definate issues dont you? Of course you do. You are mentally
ill and incarcerated. Shrug.

Ill bet your family says the street out front of their house is "their
street" despite it not actually belonging to them. You remember your
family...dont you? Its a fact that they have desperately attempted to
not remember you, for at least a decade.

Shrug

Now about the person operating that backhoe in the photo. Did you blow
it up and check to see who was operating it?

(VBG)

You poor helpless nutcase. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/16/2017 1:14 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:54:57 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Hey, Wieber! Why aren't you posting the "headers" any longer?

Sounds like somebody will be swinging by your dump soon to take a
picture of that permanent junk yard ornament Hotel Econoline. What
angle is best for getting the invisible backhoe in the same shot?

You mean this one?

http://www.taftconstruction.com/_inc...backhoe-01.jpg

That isn't yours and it's not on your property.

Of course its not mine. I never claimed to "own" a backhoe.

Stupid ****ing liar.

Yes

Yes...yes, you are.

ke this.

And I have some of the prettiest places to take people and move them
into their new digs.

And a backhoe to do it properly.

Ayup. Have had access to backhoes

You didn't say you had "access" to a backhoe, Wieber. You lied and said
you have one.

http://groups.google.com/group/sac.p...2893d4f968287d

My door is always open and my backhoe is fueled!

http://groups.google.com/group/talk....c5e138b751217a

Ayup. Where does it say I own Backhoe XYZ?

"*my* backhoe", Wieber. "my" is the first person singular possessive
pronoun. I guess they didn't teach about that in the Grayling juvenile
hall, did they?

Don't give us any of that lame Wieber bull**** about "access" to a
backhoe, you ****ing liar - you said you *have* a backhoe.

Sure do.

You sure *don't* have one, Wieber.

You don't, of course, nor would you know how to use one. It's just more
empty woofing.

Come visit and we can find out. You might even be alive when you go
in the hole, along with all that Drano and water. And maybe even some
time after that.

Empty woofing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A few tips from a fellow backhoe enthusiast here. Just what I can think of spontaneously:

- Try to design your backhoe to have smooth curves without sharp corners. Taper any reinforcement plates to make a diamond shape and use a tail-out on your welds. This helps to reduce stress concentrations and fatigue cracking, which is a big problem on backhoes. Like this:
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...etch?id=507931

- You will not regret having power slew, even on a really small machine. There is so much inertia in an extended backhoe that it takes a lot of torque to get the backhoe moving. I just checked the manual for my 7-ton backhoe loader and it gives the slew mechanism torque: 4860 ft/lb.

- Think about how comfortable the machine is going to be. Get a two-lever valve block if you can (these are available second hand). Make sure the sitting position is comfortable. And make sure you can see down into the trench clearly, because that's a problem on a fair number of machines.

I've got a lot of backhoe information if you need it. Just let me know. And do show us the finished machine!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Likewize. I think all CKs had the shuttle shift.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They didn't. My friend's CK oes not. The shuttle shift is weird. There
is a torque converter as well as a clutch in the tractor. So to change
gears requires stepping on the clutch but forward to reverse and back
is just done by moving the lever. I have only the vaguest idea how it
all works inside but I love it. I had never even sat on a backhoe when
I bought mine. Took some learning to run it passably well. But man, is
it ever fun.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You don't have a backhoe. You never did. You don't even have one
available to borrow. If you did, you'd have used it to fix your septic
system, or to earn a decent living. You're an incompetent liar.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

BS. "my backhoe" You certainly hoped readers would believe you owned
one. Same way you hoped readers would believe you owned property, and
you only admitted you don't when someone searched the records and
called you on it.

But
(correction below) made it clear that I have access to them any time I
need one.

Nope. Backhoes are commonly used to trench leach fields. It's how I
trenched mine. You need a new leech field. Piece of cake if you had
use of a hoe. Instead you pour magic dust down the toilet because
that's a sucker move, and you're a dumb sucker.

Well..I did own one about 10-14 yrs ago..and sold it to a guy who
needed one in a hurry.

Classic Wieber BS.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:01:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

The E350

.... remains an unlicensed yard ornament. You remain a liar for
claiming you had the money to license it, and for saying you'd
"happily" post the registration.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 2:01:48 PM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:00:23 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

snip
When I was back in Washington my neighbor had a backhoe
which I used on a couple of occasions. If I build a mini it
will not be near as cool, but will beat the shovel I have
been using.

Not sure how big you're planning on... but there were several youtube
videos for the HF version last I looked. It was a couple years ago, I
found them interesting. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than those
for a home brew.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

I am figuring on about the same size as the Harbor Freight mini backhoe. Smaller would be about as expensive and less capable. And I really do not need one, much less a bigger one. I have most of the steel already from scrounging at the local scrap yard. I have some cut offs of 1 inch dia stainless steel. I might go a bit bigger for the boom swivel. I looked at what was available at Fassio's ( a local steel distributor ). And can get hollow bar there. The plans I have use 1 " for the boom swivel, but that seems small. So may spring for some larger material for the boom swivel.

I am not worried about the ground being too hard as it is clay and easy to dig with a shovel ( except the clay sticks to the shovel. )

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:02:50 -0700, Cemetery Polka wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:32:36 -0400, wrote:

Likewize. I think all CKs had the shuttle shift.

I think I remember reading in the manual that some didn't. And the
trans on mine indicates a reverse position that doesn't seem to exist.
I presume that's there for models without the shuttle. Anyway, I can
tell you it's a pain to replace that shuttle gear assembly. Not
terribly difficult, just a pain. Sure is nice to have it back working
though. How bad are your brakes? Mine look good inside, but are barely
adequate to keep the machine from rolling backwards on a 10% grade. I
keep the bucket flipped and low in case of emergency.

The brakes are great. No problem locking up the wheels. How can the
shuttle shift work without a torque converter? When my CK gets low on
transmission fluid it takes forever for it to warm up enough to move.
I need to fill it way above the full mark on the dipstick for it to
move as soon as I start it. I think it may have the wrong dipstick.
Also weird is that the engine NEVER gets low on oil. And it's not gas
leaking past the rings keeping the oil level up. It must be a leak
between the engine and the transmission unit that is filling the
engine very slowly with transmission fluid. I have been having trouble
getting the carb adjustment right. Found out why. There is about 1/16"
play in the throttle shaft where it goes through the back side of the
carb. This winter the carb is coming off so I can rebuild it.
Eric