Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice Wanted On This Trim Project

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 18:24:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:20:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 6:15:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 10:53:11 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 10/14/17 9:04 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 03:02:30 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 2:59:44 PM UTC-7, -MIKE- wrote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DqXrs5DI2roJTli22

I need to replace the white board above this garage door.
... I'm going to replace with a new, treated
2x12. (Client wants cheapest option.)

That's not a great plan; treated lumber (1) isn't straight, (2) isn't dry, (3)
doesn't take paint well. Could you put a bit of housewrap (or
even tarpaper) over it, as a kind of flashing, with a trim board overtop
that, and paint the trim? Hardieboard isn't expensive, and might come
prepainted.

Heck, even just cutting the treated board in the curve is going to be a tough job,
'cuz it'll be hard to see pencil marks.

Not to mention that treated lumber will still rot if it's allowed to
stay wet. It's bug resistant, not water resistant. He'd be cutting
into the important top edge, too. The, now exposed, interior of the
wood isn't as saturated as the surface.

1. I have liquid wood preservative.
2. It's all "bugs." Water doesn't rot wood. It's microscopic bugs and
fungus that rot wood. You ever notice how fence posts or dock posts
don't rot way underground or water. Not enough oxygen. They rot closer
to the surface.

Have you ever noticed pressure treated decking? It doesn't rot, but
it sure doesn't last very long, naked.

https://bct.eco.umass.edu/publicatio...ns-about-wood/

What's your definition of "doesn't last" and "not very long"?

The article says "9 years", which is about what I've found. I have to
replace mine (the house is ten years old) and I had to replace it on
my last house (at five years). I'm not sure if I'm going to add to
the deck, and cover it, or just replace the decking. I'll probably
put it off 'til spring.

I've got untreated PT decking that has lasted just fine for 25+ years.

Without waterproofing, of some sort?

None. Maybe PT wood was better back then.

Amazing. The CCA stuff was a lot better, sure, but water still did it
in. I had that stuff shred on decks, too.