Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default 12VDC to 120VAC inverter problem.

wrote in message
I have a 300W, 12VDC to 120VAC inverter. It's worked fine in my car for
years, to power my laptop computer, a medical device I need when I am
"on the road", and even some small power tools. Recently it started
acting weird. Sometimes it wont turn on, (LED is lit). Or it keeps
cycling on and off. Often, I have to plug it into the cig lighter in my
car repeated times to get it to work.

I tore it apart the other day and after removing it from the aluminum
case, I carefully checked for loose solder joints, using a magnifying
glass, wiggling parts, looking for any burnt or other obvious bad parts.
Everything looked ok.

With it out of the case, I plugged it in, and found it worked perfectly.
I used it numerous times out of the case, and it worked each and every
time. However, I was careful not to load it too hard, because the case
is used as a heatsink, and outside the case, the transistors are not
heat sinked, and I could feel them getting warm, but not hot, becuase
the load was low.

How old is the car battery?