Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Advice Wanted On This Trim Project

On 10/13/2017 1:30 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 09:47:10 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 10/12/17 10:23 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:27:35 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 10/12/17 8:18 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12-Oct-17 8:03 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DqXrs5DI2roJTli22

I need to replace the white board above this garage door. The 2x12 is
rotted out pretty bad. It will just fall out when poked with a
screwdriver or putty knife, so I'm going to replace with a new, treated
2x12.Â* (Client wants cheapest option.)

Double- and triple-check -- the brick may be overlaid veneer in front of
the frieze board so you don't have to scribe it at all...

There bricks and board are on the same plane.
What's interesting is that the board in between the lintel and the bricks.
I'm not a mason, but I always thought the lintel was to support a course
of bricks above wood. Either way, the wood board is cut on that curve,
not behind the bricks.
Sure doesn't look like an original setup. Someones been fiddling
before. Origionally the door fit BEHIND the brick and was a higher
door.(possibly 5 panel, or larger panels) He or someone before him
"cheaped out" once before and now it's coming back to bite him.

The guy definitely "cheaped out" from the testimony of all the home
owners around here, but it is indeed original.
A lot of these houses have these arched facades over straight openings,
just to create the illusion.

Bur nit done the way that one is done. I'll bet most of the others
have the door reACHING TO THE TOP OF THE ARCH,

Perhaps but I have several doors done exactly like this back about 30
years ago. A poor design by the architect.