Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice Wanted On This Trim Project

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:03:22 -0500, -MIKE-

"-MIKE-"* wrote in message news
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DqXrs5DI2roJTli22

I need to replace the white board above this garage door. The 2x12 is
rotted out pretty bad. It will just fall out when poked with a
screwdriver or putty knife, so I'm going to replace with a new, treated
2x12.* (Client wants cheapest option.)

..

Any ideas?

To start I would tack the new 2x12 (or 1x12 if it turns out to be that)
up on the side jambs even with the bottom edge of the existing arch
board, or level, which ever seems better based on the field conditions.
Then I'd scribe the curve onto the new board by following the existing
curve. This could be done with a large pencil compass. Alternatively a
board that is as long as the distance from the bottom of the curved
board to the maximum height of the curve and a pencil could be
substituted. In either case make sure the scriber is plumb as you move
across the length of the board. Any roughness in the scribed line can be
smoothed out during and after cutting the board... a slight undercut
would help with the fitting.

Another consideration might be to get some 1x12 pvc trim (or glue up
narrower boards). If needed shim it out with with the scrapes from
cutting the curve. It would hold up better than wood.

Great advice. Thanks.
PVC is a fortune around here, I don't see the client going for it.

I'd set the trim board back a bit behind the brick line and run a
drip mold on it and on the top of the door frame, and prime and paint
all the edges before installing. It's not weight bearing? I'd really
think about cedar 1X instead of PT - likely last a lot longer.