Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default asphalt millings

On 10/11/2017 04:44 PM, SEPaving wrote:
replying to Richard J Kinch, SEPaving wrote:
For someone who purports to know so much about asphalt pavement, you sure
don't seem to know much about how one is resurfaced. All large asphalt
contractors have been utilizing milling machines to smooth & top-grade
existing roads prior to laying down a new mat of asphalt for the last 15
years
or so. You use a large milling machine & about 70% of the time there is
enough liquid asphalt left in the millings that simply spreading &
compacting
the millings will result in a very durable driveway. After a summer or
two of
being baked by the sun and driven on normally even a scarifier has a pretty
tough time cutting through the mat this forms.

I've seen plenty of rotomilling but when they redid the road where I
live they used a technique I hadn't seen. It was chip seal that hadn't
had much maintenance for thirty years I know of. They ground up the
pavement in place and redeposited it with some fairly large chunks.
Riding a bike on it was a real pleasure. Then they went away for a month
or so, let traffic compact it, and came back to lay down real hot top.
We'll see how that goes. Most of the city streets are periodically chip
sealed and they develop deep enough ruts that you have to be careful
when you stop for a light on a bike.