Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a trolley jack with seam weld jacking points.

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
The saddle of my Sealey low entry jack has an external diameter of 11cm.
This is only slightly smaller than the length of the seam weld jacking
points on my replacement the car.

The jack saddle is bowl shaped but there is a lump in the middle, the
end of a shaft that goes down into the rest of the jack.

I tried to use a Sealey rubber pad. This does not take the weight of the
car but just gets compressed to the level of edges of the saddle. I did
try to put some washers under the centre of the pad. This just lead to
the seam weld cutting through the rubber pad and loosing some of its
body underseal coating.

I have seen many rubber pads on ebay with a grove. These are generally
only about 7cm in diameter which is a bit small for my jack. Also there
is the problem of the lump in the centre of the saddle.

I now plan to use a bit of steel channel about 6" long which should rest
on the jack saddle and take the weight of the car even if it is not
perfectly centred.

Any other suggestions as to how to solve this problem?

Bit of decent wood between jack and car.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.