Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Ping! Jim Wilkins - New HF Battery Chargers

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 15:46:44 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:13:36 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news Probably old news but I see in their latest monthly flier two new
battery chargers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-...ner-63350.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/2815-a...ger-63299.html

They look interesting and I would probably get one if I didn't
already
have a similar CTEK Charger. The Maintenance mode isn't explained
for
either one. You would have to play with one to find out what it
does
while analyzing the output. I looked at all the comments and
didn't
find
anything there either. They claim to have a reconditioning mode
for
desulphating, but how it does this isn't explained...

Currently there is a $39.99 coupon for the larger version #63299.
Code
29790926 thru 10-31-2017.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I'm trying to learn to quickly determine and sometimes improve the
condition of old and second-hand batteries with my home made
metered,
adjustable chargers and the HF carbon pile load. A commercial
charger
that doesn't display battery voltage and charging current won't help
me.

This partly explains how, using a Harbor Freight manual charger and
Variac:
https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index...print/true.cfm
"The CONTROL that a VARIAC affords a transformer charger battery
charger makes the most "expensive" so called smart-charger
equalization mode a Marx Brothers farce. So-called smart chargers
cannot hope to accomplish what a human being can with a VARIAC,
battery charger, digital voltmeter and an accurate hydrometer."

"Shore power" is a boating term that means electricity from the
grid,
instead of the boat's generator or battery.

-jsw

I'm curious: What do you think of the advice and tutorial info from
this site?

http://batteryuniversity.com/

--
Ed Huntress

Their explanations are clear and don't conflict with other battery
manufacturers' recommendations. This is the sponsor:
http://www.cadex.com/en

-jsw

Good, and thanks. I've been using them as a source for 8 or 10 years,
and I just wanted to be sure I wasn't leading anyone astray.

--
Ed Huntress