Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Rusty drill press column

On 10/4/2017 1:36 PM, notbob wrote:

Wranglerstar, a YouTube regular, has tried several rust removing
tricks. He actually recommends a regular "rust remover" (not Naval
Jelly), which he compared along side white vinegar. The "remover"
worked better, but I forget its name.

Wranglestar reminds me of a semi-spoiled rich kid that suddenly got
interested in DIY. Has lots of nice toys, and nicer property.

Anyway, Naval jelly works better than anything I've tried if you have
heavy rust. The video SpaltedWalt referenced using vinegar to derust a
drill press taking all night and a lot of elbow grease could have been
done, and done better, in about 20 minutes with naval jelly. Would love
to watch Leon try to derust that sucker with WD40.

I de-rusted my tools when I first got them, including the drill press
column with Naval Jel, and it worked a treat. Follow up with Bostik Top
Coat and your in like Flynn.. WD40 might work with LOTS and LOTS of
work, and steel wool, but mainly on very light rust. About anything
works on light rust.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com