Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Keys in both sides of a lock?

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 00:20:32 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 03 Oct 2017 23:50:44 +0100, Steve Walker

SNAFU. Situation normal, all ****ed up. Nobody thinks before
designing
things.

There may well be a reason - with many traditional locks you can slide
button on the inside, which prevents a key being used from the outside.
The "one key prevents another being inserted" may be a deliberate
feature to "replicate" this function.

Never seen the point in that. I have a traditional Yale type lock and
have never used that button. Why would I wish to prevent someone
(probably myself) with a valid key from unlocking the door?

I wouldn;t want someone breaking into my place when
I was there what would be the point of them doing that
unles sit was the fire brigade or a medical emergancy.

And those wouldnt be picking the lock anyway, they
would break a window because that is a lot quicker.

People have used bolts on doors and mortice locks been locked
at night for years I thought most people locked themselves in.

But its more convenient to have some easy way of stopping
the lock being picked by just putting the key in the other side.

Main downside with that approach tho is if the crim breaks in,
it makes it a lot easier for them to get out again quickly if say
you start belting the **** out of them with a baseball bat etc.