Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rusty drill press column

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 18:42:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/3/2017 6:09 PM, dpb wrote:
On 03-Oct-17 4:02 PM, notbob wrote:

... Also, WD40 and LPS products now DO! include a
light lubricant in their formula, ...

WD40 was _always_ a light hydrocarbon base, essentially kerosene-like
fraction which has quite good lubricating properties for light duty.
"Stoddard oil" was essentially it way back when; I suspect they've had
to make some modifications to keep up with EPA/MSDS issues since the
'50s, it is essentially the same product as always.

While it was developed specifically for another purpose, that doesn't
make it any less useful for many other applications; in fact it's
probably better at those than it is for the original purpose.*

--

The argument will go on forever.

It can, and has! ;-)

Most any liquid has some lubricating
properties and WD does have some derivatives of oil and i will
lubricate. That said, there are many other lubricants that may do a
better job in some circumstances.

What I want to know is whether, or not, I need to ground my dust
collector?