Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Rusty drill press column

On 10/3/2017 3:47 PM, Michael wrote:
On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 12:30:43 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:
[not my drill press]

Any idea how to either remove the rust or at least smooth it down enough
that the friction isn't in impediment to adjusting the table height?

WD40 and steel wool.

I would agree with this, BUT there is no indication as to the extent of
the problem. If this is a little surface rust that has not pitted the
surface the above would be a good alternative. Personally I use a very
fine sand paper.

If this drill press is rusted so bad that the surface is pitted, rust
remover may may it functionally acceptable. It it is real bad there may
be no hope to get it to be functional.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre