Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why aren't AA batteries square?

On Tuesday, 3 October 2017 00:36:20 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 02 Oct 2017 16:00:30 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 2 October 2017 15:41:28 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 02 Oct 2017 14:55:22 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 2 October 2017 14:32:16 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/10/2017 10:56, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 29 September 2017 20:34:08 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:

So what's the difference between a name and an ID? (Terms like U2 and
U11 didn't exist until the mid 60s.)

So what;s the differnce between a term and ID a name and a label.

When the cops ask you for your ID they want more than your name.

And if you didn't give it, they could charge you, you could be accused of assualt and battery is that it ;-)

In the USA that wouldn't surprise me. FFS they have a law against crossing the road without waiting for the green man (or walk signal in their case).

I think it's called j-walking.

Indeed. Americans are so stupid they get into trouble for endangering themselves.

They do worse things IMO.

When a studnet asks me for a barrery I asked them what type. When they say 1.5V then I asked them what size. AA or AAA are those we use.

To that question I then usually get "er.... the really thin one".

I'd say, what for a realyl thick student, I do try to educate my students, I;d like to think that when a studetn leaves with a degree they can at least tell batteries apart. Our thin batteries are mostly LiPos.

https://www.rapidonline.com/trupower...350mah-70-0003

You can get those in AAA can you?

No but you can get them in the size they make them in.
How many square AA batteries would you like to buy ?

If they ask for a 9V they'll get a PP3. I often get asked for 5V battereis and I say we havent; got any.
If they ask for a battery called Tom, Dick or Harry I'd asked them for the order code and supplier.

I'd ask them if they'd forgotten their medication.

yes that would be a good reply.

(in US
cop shows). (British cops just ask you for your name and address
supposedly.)

sometimes they ask DOB too.
At my college there's another with the same name as me, so just a name wouldn't be much to truely ID a person.

Does he live at your address?

No but sometimes we get each others emails. (email addresses)

There should be more names so everyone is unique.

People can make up names if they wish, you made yours up but chose traditional

Same with batteries really.

Not if you also gave their address, which I guess would be "kitchen clock".

wouldnl't tell me which type of battery they took would it.

All clocks use AA.

Yeah sure. How many clocks take square AAs ?

I just installed a remote (wirless) battery bell push unit.
The battery is the bell push is apparently a 12V 23A alkaline battery according to the instruction manual.
See how much confusion can arrise that;s why I try to be clear to all my students, a student asked me for our box cutters she meant end cutters so I showed her the differnce between our end cutters and our side cutters.

Its why I like to find the proper name for things even if I then prefer not to use it.

99% of people are thick, ignorant, or just plain stupid.

Are you trying to use this stat to prove you're normal ?