Posted to rec.woodworking
JBI JBI is offline

Default how to make wooden glass dome bases airtight?

On 10/02/2017 03:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/2/2017 11:39 AM, JBI wrote:
I just wanted to update since I sealed all dome bases with the
shellac. Once I had fans no longer running (to either help dry the
dome bases or for other reasons), within a short time, I could start
smelling the moth balls.Â* I didn't think it was too bad until I was
out of the house for much of the past weekend.Â* When I arrived home,
upon opening the door and entering the house, the smell was overwhelming.

I am disappointed.Â* I carefully coated all bases with at least two
coats of shellac.Â* My guess is that the mothball gases still somehow
penetrate the silicone seal of glass dome to wooden base, or because I
couldn't seal with shellac any wood under the glass dome, perhaps the
gas gets through there too, but originally I thought the outer sealing
would stop it.Â* I guess I only have two choices: 1) cut silicone seals
to be able to open the domes and remove the moth ball bags, then
reseal without moth balls, or, 2) place the complete dome as it is now
in a larger, sealable container.

I'd have thought the shellac would do the job but it seems you only did
it on the outside. You still have alternatives to consider.Â* I'd try an
epoxy coating on the inside.

The problem here is that I have branches, bark, etc along with the
insects already glued to the dome base and all of that would have to be
removed first. If I'm going to open it, I'll just have to remove the
moth ball bags, but keep the silica gel bags, and reseal. Since the
flakes have already been in there for a month anyway, and act as a
fumigant, the residue should remain hopefully for long enough until
resealed and the silica brings the humidity back down to low levels.
The big threat of a preservation like this is mold (from excessive
humidity), and pests that eat the insects (if not well sealed in their
enclosure).