Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default how to make wooden glass dome bases airtight?

On 10/2/2017 11:39 AM, JBI wrote:
I just wanted to update since I sealed all dome bases with the shellac.
Once I had fans no longer running (to either help dry the dome bases or
for other reasons), within a short time, I could start smelling the moth
balls.Â* I didn't think it was too bad until I was out of the house for
much of the past weekend.Â* When I arrived home, upon opening the door
and entering the house, the smell was overwhelming.

I am disappointed.Â* I carefully coated all bases with at least two coats
of shellac.Â* My guess is that the mothball gases still somehow penetrate
the silicone seal of glass dome to wooden base, or because I couldn't
seal with shellac any wood under the glass dome, perhaps the gas gets
through there too, but originally I thought the outer sealing would stop
it.Â* I guess I only have two choices: 1) cut silicone seals to be able
to open the domes and remove the moth ball bags, then reseal without
moth balls, or, 2) place the complete dome as it is now in a larger,
sealable container.

I'd have thought the shellac would do the job but it seems you only did
it on the outside. You still have alternatives to consider. I'd try an
epoxy coating on the inside.