Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

On Mon, 02 Oct 2017 06:16:21 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 16:14:39 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 11:11:14 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Let us know what works. I've never repaired a jack because grumble
the repair kit (2 o-rings, a spring, and a ball, IIRC) always cost at
least $2 more than an entire brand new freakin' jack. /grumble

Then you are buying them at the wrong places.

That's trying to find them locally. Anything in an industrial supply
place starts at $40 and goes up from there. Or you get the "If you
let us do the work, we won't charge for small parts like that." Now
that there's a HFT store right here in town, that might shift.

Never go to the industrial mega supply houses. Hell...buy an
assortment on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/407pc-Univer...-/251874749265

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T23-419pc-Un...-/272074432350

They are cheap enough. This one is borderline on cheap..but handy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/900PC-O-Ring...-/202017465376

O rings are a quarter
each until you get to 4"..the spring is a buck and the ball is 50
cents at Ace hardware.

Cool. I've never thought to look for something like that at Ace.
I knew that you could have hydraulic hoses or an o-ring made at NAPA
Auto Parts, supergluing linear stock ends together.

I have a number of places to buy o rings ...I often buy odd sizes at
hydraulic shops. As I mentioned a couple years ago..my Clausing 1500
lthe hydraulic vari drive needed to be rebuilt. Clausing wanted $50
for the kit. I bought all the parts at Bakersfield Rubber Co for
$5..and it included (2) complete kits. The $5 was the guy spending the
time matching up the o-rings and seals. Shrug.

I have on hand...about 3000 o-rings of every type, these days. Lots
of them will never be used...though our roommate John found what he
needed in the drawers when he rebuilt the engine on the Dodge Caravan
when he recharged the A/C and one seal was leaking.

Which is why Ive picked up most of my (23) jacks at yard sales for a
couple bucks each. Humm...the (2) Blackhawk 60 ton jacks were $15
each. One worked fine once I filled it with oil..the other needed the
ball replaced..again...50 cents

And the balls need replacing because someone either left the cap off
the refill hole or put moist hyd fluid inside it. The ball is at the
bottom of the sump so it picks up all the water and stews in it.

Ayup. Lots of times..I find jacks filled with motor oil. 2x..I found
jacks filled with USED motor oil. Both came from the same yard
sale..so Im assuming its all the guy had on hand.

---