Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default The perpetual " Cornish" problem - damp and mold.

On 01/10/2017 08:54, sweetheart wrote:

Some will understand this problem and others will not. You have to know about wet and damp weather and condensation in old ( and over insulated maybe?) houses.

So, winter is coming on and now I have to close the windows ( its colder) or heat the rain and the wind outside. My condensation and mold problems are returning and they are spreading. What was a problem in the kitchen has now it the whole house. Its musty, stinking and black mold is growing in a lot of corners.

I have cleaned, painted and sorted all the maintenance problems. This is not leaking roof, guttering or anything else. I have cut back trees and checked under the floor. This is a condensation issue - beyond stopping breathing. I am at a loss.

I have been told to put more insulation in, new windows double glazed and all manner of energy efficiency - and I did - problem made worse! Its still biggest in the kitchen ( where I have both a de humidifier and a heater now)

So, I seem to be down to two solutions. I either

(a) I have to turn up the heat ( most rooms are sitting at 20 degrees C - with the kitchen at around 15 C). I have even had one heater on all summer .....

b) try for one of those ventilation things that go in the roof ( Nu air?) which promises to sort it out ( but, hey, promises, promises?)

Can anyone who has really had this problem and who has sorted it advise now?

I know someone who was plagued by condensation in a flat- we are talking
furniture ruined etc. A dehumidifier didn't really help.

After some 'discussion', the landlord fitted one of those extractor fans
which removes 'damp air', but uses it to warm incoming air. It was
fitted in the bathroom.

Last I heard, it seemed to have fixed the problems.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud