Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default The perpetual " Cornish" problem - damp and mold.

Small but significant leak in a pipe somewhere near a radiator?
I guess you need to run a de humidifier and see what you end up with. If
there are masses of water being removed with few people in the house there
has to be another source of moisture somewhere. I mean you do need
ventilation but not to the extent of heating the outside!
I suppose it is possible that the surfaces concerned are much colder than
the rest of the place but unlikely I'd have thought.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"sweetheart" wrote in message

Some will understand this problem and others will not. You have to know
about wet and damp weather and condensation in old ( and over insulated
maybe?) houses.

So, winter is coming on and now I have to close the windows ( its colder) or
heat the rain and the wind outside. My condensation and mold problems are
returning and they are spreading. What was a problem in the kitchen has now
it the whole house. Its musty, stinking and black mold is growing in a lot
of corners.

I have cleaned, painted and sorted all the maintenance problems. This is not
leaking roof, guttering or anything else. I have cut back trees and checked
under the floor. This is a condensation issue - beyond stopping breathing. I
am at a loss.

I have been told to put more insulation in, new windows double glazed and
all manner of energy efficiency - and I did - problem made worse! Its
still biggest in the kitchen ( where I have both a de humidifier and a
heater now)

So, I seem to be down to two solutions. I either

(a) I have to turn up the heat ( most rooms are sitting at 20 degrees C -
with the kitchen at around 15 C). I have even had one heater on all summer

b) try for one of those ventilation things that go in the roof ( Nu air?)
which promises to sort it out ( but, hey, promises, promises?)

Can anyone who has really had this problem and who has sorted it advise now?