Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 00:05:24 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 03:29:34 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

Try "face spanner."

The photos all seem to come up with round pins; did I miss something?

The gland nuts I'm dealing with have rectangular notches. Pins might
work, but they seem precarious.

A couple with square or rectangular pins:
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto.../dp/B001VXTV82
http://tinyurl.com/yd92oru6

Wow, "only" $127?

I've made tools similar to the second example to reach bearing
locknuts in a recess where a hook spanner won't work.

Face spanners of a different sort:
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/4baf2b5d64...ner-aktmyy.jpg

Asian Crescent Moonie?

https://cdn4.i-scmp.com/sites/defaul...?itok=tu144kGF

Artist has obviously never used a hand tool before.

The snap rings you pictured are often called Eaton rings, though most
I've encountered are hard.

Thanks, that's a term I've not encountered before.

I've always worked with uneaten rings. shrug

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.