Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

Larry Jaques wrote:
(what the hell were we working on, again?)

Here's a photo of the gland as it will need to be tightened
for final assembly. The piston rod is 5/8" OD.

http://www.zefox.net/~bp/pump_rod_in_gland.jpg
(~3MB image)

The outer gland can be tightened with the
piston removed, but the inner gland will require that the piston
be inserted before the gland is tightened. The piston can be
backed up a couple inches, but must stay in the hole.

I _think_ a split tubular spanner clamped tightly to the
piston rod will be strong enough to tighten the gland. If not,
there's a hydralics shop nearby where I can inquire. It would
be very helpful to know the right name for the wrench.

The Urban Dictionary link surprised me a little; didn't see
any reference to wrenches.....times change.

bob prohaska