Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Kettle descaler?

On 29/09/2017 20:12, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Does anyone here sort of 'make their own'?Â* I buy glacial acetic acid
off ebay, because the missus uses it (well diluted, of course) as fabric
conditioner, although it doesn't really condition it AFAICT, but she
seems to like it.Â* Anyway, it's not as good as I'd imagined at descaling
kettles, even though I thought it'd be stronger.Â* I think the bought
stuff contains citric acid, but I don't want to buy a load of ebay just
to have it sit on the shelf for the rest of my life next to the Bradex
Easy-Start.

I buy citric acid crystals - lowest price I can find on ebay - seems
to work.

To cut down on the need for descaler, do any of you use the lump of
stainless steel 'wire wool' in your kettles? It makes a fantastic
difference to the rate at which scale forms. All you have to remember is
to take it out of the kettle every week of so, and get rid of the scale
it has accumulated (instead of the kettle) by rinsing it under a running
tap while rolling it between the palms of your hands.

Used to do this with old-style kettles with separate elements. On the
present "cordless" one the element is built into the bottom of the
kettle, and the kettle does not scale up to anything like the same
extent. I sometimes put the used "coffee machine" descaler into the
kettle, but in truth I don't think it really needs it. I'm not sure
whether the water has changed and is now less hard, or whether the
deposits stay in suspension and end up in the tea.