Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Why aren't AA batteries square?

On 29/09/2017 11:12, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 28 September 2017 19:13:13 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/09/2017 13:09, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 28 September 2017 11:20:47 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/09/2017 10:39, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 19:23:40 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:

Originally batteries had names:

Like Fred, George, Mary , you call them what you want to, mine just had ID's which indicated their size and voltage.

I suppose IRL you don't have a name; just an ID.

No IRL I can use both for myself, but I can't tell one AA battery from another unless the label on them indicates a differnece.

In the days when batteries had names there was only one kind:
zinc/carbon with ammonium chloride electrolyte.

They had labels not names I didn't name any of my batteries.
And I'm pretty sure in them days they had IDs otherwise you wouldn't know what battery to fit in which device.

So what's the difference between a name and an ID? (Terms like U2 and
U11 didn't exist until the mid 60s.)

--
Max Demian