Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 04:55:28 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Water pipe and malleable iron fittings are very handy to make
custom
tools but also quite soft. Music wire from hobby stores can be
ground
to the shape of wrench teeth and pressed into holes in the pipe.

Indeed, I just bought some scraps of iron pipe and am building a
tool now to remove the lift cylinder packing. It's easy, because
the rod is straight and does not overhang the packing nut.

The pump is a different kettle of fish:
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/pumpgland.jpg
(apologies, it's another obese image)
With the pump piston in place, the eye overhangs the
piston packing nut completely. The outer nut can be installed
separately, so a socket-style wrench has a chance, especially
if it's supported by a pilot.

I've had good results with hook and pin spanner wrenches made from
the

Does anybody know the correct name for wrenches to fit gland nuts
like
those shown in the photo? They're not hook, nor pin. "Claw spanner"
is
the best term I could think of, but it isn't fruitful in a web
search.

This isn't helpful?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Spanner

Google has changed. Used to be that Brits called wrenches
"spanners"
and in SAE-land, we called a bar with two pins a "spanner" or "pin
spanner", while I don't recall what the tube type was called, but
it,
too, was a pin spanner of sorts.

For now the plan is to make a socket-style wrench out of pipe, then
split
it with a saw and fit it around the piston as a pilot. A hose clamp
secure, and pliers to tighten.

As opposed to using the correct diameter pipe, eh? Split, it won't
hold radial tension, unless it's only split on one side (the least
amount) and the hose clamp is down right next to the nut. Better
yet,
weld a nut or spacer which fits over the center part (what the hell
were we working on, again?) Oh, just looked at the pic. Where's
your
BAS? Big Ass Screwdriver? That'll spin right out of there.

Someone else had it right when suggesting black pipe. Find the
diameter, grind away all but two pins on the end, drill a hole
through
the back end to fit a phillips screwdriver and you have your tool
forever. Be sure to give the pins a slight taper so they're
dovetails
which won't slip out of the depressions in the nut.

Alternatively, grind a piece of 1/8 or 1/4" bar stock to fit the
span
since you have a 345-degree uninterrupted field.

=====================================
| |
===========================| |
| |

It's almost worthy of Rube Goldberg.

8-)

What's with the "almost" bit? For one-offs, I've been known to
hold two drift punches with a pair of Channel-lock pliers, and spin
dem puppies right off.

The Harbor Freight pin spanner is cheap enough to modify into a custom
tool:
https://www.harborfreight.com/adjust...nch-36554.html
-jsw