Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam
pandora pandora is offline

Default Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 09:43:33 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Checkmate! In article g_GdnbVBMY_LUVbEnZ2dnUU7-R-
, says...

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:55:17 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading posts
by Checkmate! In article -tydnZIXuIQVFVfEnZ2dnUU7-N-
, says...

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:22:58 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading
posts by Checkmate! In article ZYKdnS_VTeNV7VfEnZ2dnUU7-V-
, says...

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:57:05 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading
posts by Checkmate! In article 8L6dnZl7j_LkN1TEnZ2dnUU7-
, says...

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 16:25:38 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when
reading posts by Checkmate! In article
asWdnb01MfeI-1TEnZ2dnUU7-
,
says...

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 16:17:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/25/2017 3:06 PM, pandora wrote:

My new Mazda hatchback has a key fob to start the car.
It can be left in my pants pocket or my purse and it
still starts the car as long as it's in the car. Unless
the battery in the key fob dies and then nothing which
happened to me recently. Changed the battery and all was
good.

If it happens again, try holding the fob right next to
the start button.
If the battery is weak it may give enough signal to get
the car
started so you can go to the battery store for a new one.

I know that now. That's exactly what the tow truck driver
did when I called him. Was *I* embarrassed. You betcha!

My ex once called for a tow because her car wouldn't start.
She didn't have it in park. LOL.

Heh. At least I made certain of that first before I called.

I used to get service calls where people would say their
circuit was dead. I'd ask them over the phone if they
checked the breaker, because I feel bad if I have to drive
all the way out there, flip a breaker, and then charge them
a minimum $60. I'd even explain to them that you can't just
push it to the on position if it's tripped,
you have to push it all the way to off first to cock the
mechanism inside, and then to on.

I learned *that* a long time ago. I always push it back and
forth several times before I call for help.

They'd always insist that they did all that, so I'd get out
there,
and at least half a dozen times, all I had to do was exactly
what they had insisted they had already done.

Yep. People are just darn stubborn and can't believe it is
that simple.

I remember one poor secretary who was afraid her boss would
get mad at her when he found out it was just a tripped
breaker, so I had to be a little creative when I wrote up
the invoice.

That was kind of you. :-)

What's done is done. She has a problem, and got it fixed...
that's all her boss needed to know. I'm sure he didn't hire
her to be a secretary/electrician. I showed her how to do it
in case she ever had to again, and life goes on. Hopefully,
her boss wasn't some tyrant.

Well, ya know, secretaries have to be multi-faceted, sometimes.

Down time costs money too if you're running a business. I got
a call from a USPS sorting facility one night, because they had
a sorting machine that was manned by eight employees, and it
quit unexpectedly.
When I got there, there were suits running around all over the
place,
and they were absolutely frantic, which meant I'd better get
that machine back up ASAP... no pressure there!

Heh.

It turned out to be a simple problem... a burned connection on
a power transformer, except that it was twenty feet in the air.
They had their own scissorlift, so I had them back in business
in about an hour.

Good job!

What I didn't tell them, was that I took the cover off the
transformer while it was hot, because I didn't want to shut off
any more **** until I knew what was going on. As I removed the
cover, it came pretty damned close to touching the live 480
volt primary terminals inside. It wouldn't have shocked me,
but it would have made for some spectacular fireworks and an
arc burn on my hands. I forget what I charged them, but it
probably wasn't enough.

More than likely. Reminds me of the time when I worked for a
newspaper in the distribution department. We had a machine that
inserted *slicks*
into the main paper after it came off the presses. It would shut
down now and then (it was old, built in the 1930s) and if we
couldn't get it to work we'd have to hand insert. (Tedious job
that). I calmly went to the plug, pulled it out and put it back
in.
Magically, the machine started up again. (My husband taught me
that.)It didn't always work but it was certainly worth the try.

Like mysterious computer problems. Most of them can be fixed with
a simple reboot.

Indeed. I've learned to NOT panic until I've tried a reboot a
couple of times. Mostly (so far) that's worked for me.

It's when you get the dreaded BSOD that it's time to panic.

Indeed. That's only happened to me once.

The computer I use now is very stable. It's on a UPS and runs 24/7. I
put 32 Gigs of RAM in it, and it can handle virtually anything. I'd
hate to have anything go wrong with it with all the crap I've added over
the years.

My computer is my lifeline to my family and the world. I would hate for
anything to happen to it. It's relatively new (2 years old) so it just
keeps chugging along. Hopefully for a while yet.