Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

On 9/25/2017 10:59 AM, dpb wrote:
On 25-Sep-17 8:41 AM, June Bug wrote:

that the car is locking itself.

The question is why and how.

See what wrote to smug Cindy as well, but I'd suggest reading the
operators manual carefully; it _should_ describe the system
functionality, _presuming_ there isn't an aftermarket security system
installed--I saw several comments that some of those apparently do have
such a "feature" that isn't factory.

If can't get satisfaction on whether this is expected behavior from that
venue, I'd just go ask a dealer if this is supposed to be the way it
behaves and how to reprogram it to a more user-friendly setting.

I found doc on the self-locking feature that is tied to the gearshift
and moving or not and that has some four options one of which is "off"
but that has no bearing on locking when ignition is off unless there is
a failure in the system causing a spurious locking action.

What there may be in newer "smart" systems I couldn't really find full
details on; hence the suggestion to read manual first, then go ask.

I also agree w/ Ed P, though; if it does that and I can't reprogram it
to not, I ain't buying the vehicle.

--

Manuals can be a bitch to read and follow and indexing is often poor.
Internet is better source and best thing you can find is specific

Kid gave me a watch for my birthday and I could not set it. Did not
help that the manual was maybe over 5o pages of small print on a two by
two page. When I called him he advised looking for a video and even
though it was poorly narrated it was easy to follow.